The Watch Site banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2,905 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Nearly finished this but popped the battery in, nothing
Just tried it in the case - I really like it - what a let down
Could I have pressed the hands on too hard- I'm 99% sure the movement was working before I remove it old dial hands etc
:(:(
Help

·
Registered
912 Posts
First I'd put the second hand on....does it do anything, a slight twitching even??
Have you stripped that movement down? You might need to, any old sticky oil on those will stop them dead.

Try setting the time...that will give you an indication of whever the hands are too tight. I doubt you'll have a problem there.

·
Registered
2,905 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks- I've tried to refit the seconds hands but it's easier with it running.
The only battery I have is 2nd ticking in my other 7546(wondering if that's the problem) so it's low on power
I've not stripped the movement- way beyond me:eek:hmy:
The time seems to set fine as does the date(inc quickset)
:rolleyes:

·
Registered
38 Posts
If you've got a multimeter, check the resistance of the coil (usually around 2k Ohm, if infinite it's damaged). With the battery in check the coil gets a voltage pulse every second.

If those check out OK it must be mechanical. If the seconds move but not hours/minutes it would be a loose cannon pinion.

Don't know this movement but could also be the stem mechanism that manually and/or electronically hacks the movement.

·
Registered
4,997 Posts
Start with a fresh battery, don't rush it, then all the above advice, nice mod by the way. :clap:.........Bob.

·
Craftsman
452 Posts
I assume it's a 7546 movement?

It won't run without the crown/stem inserted.

(you probably know this, but I thought I'd mention it).

Was the movement working before you fitted the dial / hands?

·
Registered
5,973 Posts
Fitting the seconds hand would be a good move to establish if the movement is actually working and rule out the possibility the CP has lifted up the center wheel shaft when you removed the old hands.

Fit a new battery first and make sure the crown/stem is in the fully in position. Otherwise you are looking at a strip down for diagnosis and possibly replacement parts.

BTW: these movements are a doddle to work on in the scheme of quartz.

·
Registered
1,914 Posts
BTW: these movements are a doddle to work on in the scheme of quartz.
Doddle yes, but that coil is fragile. Treat it gently.

Paul put the stem in the watch or it will not run that's if you pulled stem out in position 2.

If you put together and still no luck pull movement out. Make sure the second hand is on and stem in all the way plus battery in and push second hand around clockwise with a toothpick and this usually gets it going.

·
Registered
2,905 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Thanks all - will pop into town tomorrow for a battery and try to fit the second hand- won't let this beat me:(
I'm sure it was ok before I messed with it - hope I've not borked it
I'm having real trouble fitting the 2nds hand

·
Registered
2,905 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok I've had now joy with the seconds hand( can't seem to fit it) popped a loppypop one on and it's twitching so that's good news
Wonder why I can't fit the supplied one :mad:

·
Registered
2,905 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I've managed to get the seconds hand on now :)
and it's twitching so fingers crossed it's just the battery
Thanks all for the input- pics to be uploaded once it's fully assembled

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Nearly finished this but popped the battery in, nothing
Just tried it in the case - I really like it - what a let down
Could I have pressed the hands on too hard- I'm 99% sure the movement was working before I remove it old dial hands etc
:(:(
Help
OOOO, nice. Please get this working. Its a very nice subtle MOD. I like it a LOT :clap:

·
Registered
4,997 Posts
Hi, Twitching is good,coil must be good :) it could be the gear train is jam up with old oil, which is common on most quartz movement. keep going it will be worth it........Bob.

·
Registered
5,973 Posts
You do not need to fit the sweephand necessarily to see if the movement is working. If you look at the gears behind the gear train bridge with a loupe you can just about see the stepper motor/rotor, it will flick every second, you may be able to see other gears moving too, albeit slowly.

·
Registered
4,997 Posts
You do not need to fit the sweephand necessarily to see if the movement is working. If you look at the gears behind the gear train bridge with a loupe you can just about see the stepper motor/rotor, it will flick every second, you may be able to see other gears moving too, albeit slowly.
What he said.....:wee_hee:.....Bob.

·
Registered
2,905 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well it's twitching slightly but I'm afraid a 'service and clean' is beyond my tinkering

·
Registered
912 Posts
Fair point Mike and same to the man that said to fit the stem- I hadn't spotted that.
So twitching is something but not really a lot, except it is not completely dead. I reckon it's going to be jammed up.....

·
Registered
1,914 Posts
Give the second hand a helpful push, carefully with a toothpick and this will get a twitcher going!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts