The Watch Site banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I've used the forum here as resource for a few months now so I figured it was time I introduced myself and and share some things too.

Some background: I've loved Auto's since I was about 19 and got my first one. Throughout the years I've tried to pick up various watches cheaply, but was always stopped by the fact that I couldn't repair non-runners and couldn't afford good running ones. So I kept my Seiko Superior on my wrist for 15 years.... no service, no nothing, through thick and thin. This past winter I decided to teach myself how to service Seikos so I could clean up the old Superior. I bought some junk movements off Ebay, some tools, and couple of watches and then took to Google. It's turned into a great hobby... and the Superior still hasn't seen a service even though I could do it with my eyes closed now (something tells me I'm not the only one with a watch like this). Pics to follow when I get my 5 posts, I hope to give something back to the forum that has been so helpful with information while I have been learning the hobby (or as I continue to learn I guess....)

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey Tony, thanks for the welcome. I'm in Ontario, Canada. Watches don't really turn up in the wild here but thankfully we have the internet lol...

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Here is my humble collection

Most of these came from a well known as-is watch seller in the Phillipines. I don't know if I can mention any names so I won't, but I will say the guy is awesome and keeps me in parts and watches without breaking the bank. In fact I would go as far as to say that without finding that supply of watches I never would have gotten this far in the hobby in so short a period of time.

And having said that the resources and knowledge I have found in the posts on here during late nights of banging my head against my desk have also been invaluable!!

In no particular order... starting with the watch that has become my daily:

This interesting thing that wants to be a pilot more than a diver since it looks like an airplane gauge. I got it as a non-runner with a broken stem. It's been serviced, crystal replaced, the stem and crown replaced and the original bracelet replaced. I did this one a few months into learning the art, and it was the first time I had figure out how to get amplitude after a service and new cap jewels didn't solve the problem. So I got to play around with the hairspring, which took several tries but worked ultimately. I only did that because the 7s36 in it was just so pretty.....

Next is an SNZH55. Again a non runner, and I bought this one to try my hand at fully customizing a watch. So we have a 6217 repro dial and hands, a 7002 crown, a Super Oyster bracelet, domed acrylic crystal, and a ceramic 40mm bezel insert. Note: the 40mm does NOT just drop in. Grinding is required... The 7S36 in this one was also a non runner, filled with dirt and the plastic bits that change the day date were shredded.

The Superior that got me into all this... still not serviced but it has been polished and the crystal and gaskets replaced. This this is a testament to Seiko engineering. 15 years on the wrist and through a motorcycle accident (small one), working in a barn, welding, being a mechanic, the list goes on...

My first chrono, bought as a non runner, crystal replaced, stem and crown, service, light polish and new bracelet. It even works.... it's missing the gear that spins the ring though.

My first Sport Diver and that one that made me love them.... It was in poor shape, and again a non-runner (do you see a theme here? lol). Replaced the movement, crown, stem, crystal and bracelet. I have given it a poor re-lume and took the rest off the numbers off the ring since there were worn then slapped some new hands on it. First attempt at a brushed case, which is pretty horrible.

Another one with a blue dial, much the same story but looks nicer....

And yet another... but this one came to me with a good running movement. All it took was a crystal, crown, and bracelet. Alas, no crown gear thing.

The Sushi!!! I was glad to get this one. I still need a proper bracelet, I just tossed one something to give it some wrist time. This one was a non-runner, it took a service, a crystal, a stem and a crown. I think I cleaned the dial too. At some point I will revisit the hands on it.

7019 sports diver. This guy came as a non runner, but all that was wrong was a seperated rotor bearing. I pressed that back in, touched up the dial slightly and that's it. It was a super deal.

Seiko kinetic auto relay... I was on the fence with this one, but I figured it was an auto of some sort so..... Came as a non-runner, turns out it had an exploded rotor bearing. Some time with tiny tweezers and a jig made from paper and 4 out of 5 of them were back in and the whole works pressed together. The 5th rolled away somewhere...

This mongrel I bought as an empty case for the sole purpose of customizing. It's an obvious Feiko, so I won't feel bad about whatever I do to it. It is full size, looks like the copied the 0030 when the made it. I jammed in a 7s26 I had serviced and laying around, tossed on a cheap bracelet and it's waiting for me to to something with it.

7002 Diver..... This one was bought as a non-runner. It arrived, I wound it and it took off and keeps great time. Go figure.. it was going to be custom fodder but even with the obvious repro dial I can bear to mongrelize such a classic so it will be getting an oyster and a dial and hand set. I really dig the case style on it.

And that is about it! There are a few more but they are dress watches and I have moved on from them... not keeping them so no photos. Thanks for taking the time to have a peek at what I have been up to. :)

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Nice collection you have going there including what looks to be a couple of less common models :)

·
Registered
6,298 Posts
well first off welcome to the forum and love your collection..nothing better than getting a unloved one and making it like new again...great work..you are close to me..i am in Western NY state..you do very good work too..you gotta love our watch guy you referenced too..i get quite a few from him too..John

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks John, it's cool to know another member is somewhat close. I don't know about you, but I'll be watching our guys listings for new stuff tonight lol. I need to finish the projects before I bring in more, but it's so hard to pass them up....

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
And here a couple more I just threw together.

This is another one of those airplane gauges trying to look like a diver. I bought it just to get the bezel for my other one, and I was going to service the 7S36 it came with and resell, however with the 7S36 having many shredded plastic gears (typical, that's why I don't like them) I jammed an Actus 7019 into it. All it took was some creativity with the stem and crown and a dress watch movement spacer.

And this, another 6119 sports diver to go with my sushi. Alas, the dial ring and dial were in poor shape so it's just been shined up and made to run until I find some nicer parts.

·
Registered
3,880 Posts
Hey nice group there and they look OK. Welcome to the Forum and hope your stay is a long one.
Glad to have you.
I am LongBike from Honolulu, Hawaii.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks Longbike, I'll keep posting pics as I repair/create/whatever watches. I just sold all of my smaller sports divers and I am moving into more chronographs. There are like 4 making their way to me now. Those ones I'll be spending a little more time on to make pretty. But just being able to lay hands on some of these more oddball ones for basically nothing, then repairing and wearing them, well that alone is most of the joy of the hobby for me.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
And the aforementioned 7002-700J from above is now equipped with a new dial, hands, insert and oyster. Unfortunately the hands turned out to be white when they arrived so I'll have to get another set. Still, I'm happy I didn't modify this thing - I'm really starting to like the 7002 dial!

·
Registered
2,470 Posts
Welcome

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks guys, I appreciate it!

·
Registered
362 Posts
Also new to the forum, feel funny welcoming you since I'm so new, but welcome just the same.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks Firemonkey, welcome to you too. This is a pretty helpful place if you are doing your own repairs or restorations.

·
Super Moderator
2,059 Posts
Welcome aboard, you sound like a man after my own heart, most of my watches are from "Sold asis", and yes you can say "The watchcollector." or "Ramon"
Ive had some good stuff from him, and some serious scrap. Its always a gamble, but it gives me great satisfaction to get a non running wreck going again.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts