The Watch Site banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
5,973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have not added a 6139 to the collection for some months now. It's a long process waiting for the right watch to come along when you only require specific models. Then two weeks ago I spotted a potential candidate for No.27 in the 6139 line up, of course it was on our much loved auction site.

The watch was described as not working for spares or repair but in good condition. The photographs looked promising and the watch did not look messed about with. Most importantly the dial and hands looked good through the lightly scratched crystal.

I already have a 6139-8040 in the collection that I built up from spares from various sources incorporating a blue a/m SpeedTimer dial from India (don't laugh they made a good job of it). It looks OK but is a complete ******* so I had to have an original 8040.

I had about £150 in the PayPal, so because I wanted the watch to fill a gap I stuck the whole lot on for a maximum bid and satisfyingly the bidding topped out at £72. Upon arrival the watch looked promising the crystal had a few chips and scratches, from my experiences building up my custom blue 6139-8040 I knew they are unobtainable so I asked Tom Hickman if he would polish it for me. Being a total gentleman he agreed but I later found out he is rather snowed under so I decided to do it myself.

I use the sandpaper and Cerium Oxide technique, perfected after lots of practice and pain but it turned out well and the crystal looks brand new now.

The 6139B 21 jewel movement was not working. I stripped the thing right down (I would have done so anyway as I do with all my new 6139's) and gave it a full service. The movement was not running for several reasons, first off the barrel arbour was seized and there was so much excess oil in there to look like the Amoco Cadiz wreck. It was horrible thick, rank mineral oil by the look of it. Upon reassembly the balance would not swing freely, even thought the diashocks had been cleaned and lubricated and the end float seemed OK. Turned out to be a bent staff so another complete balance assembly was substituted in from the spares.

When I refitted the dial and hands using the old case I took a picture to show why I was so pleased with this purchase

Having the movement and crystal sorted out only left the case to refurbish. Luckily the watch must have had a fairly easy life and was afforded some respect by its previous owner/s because the case was free from serious damage so I was able to gently polish the flat surfaces with emery and polishing sticks and then lightly touch in the original brushing. The bezel has lost some of its sharpness (not down to me) and had acquired a few dents so it was left alone apart from cleaning.

Then all the case parts, including the crown/stem and pushers were run through the ultrasonic cleaner and the watch was ready for reassembly using new gaskets all round. From the outset I knew I would have to find a suitable bracelet and without anything else in the strap/bracelet drawer I plumped for the new 18mm razor I bought of David (DAHASCO) a while back, I think it may be for a RallyDiver reissue but don't quote me on that.

·
Registered
912 Posts
:)
I've been looking forward to seeing this Mike. Super.
Now I'm glad I didn't bid against you if you had £150 on it, though still would have been worth it! You got a bargain and a beautiful watch.

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
That's a bobby dazzler as my gran used to say. Smashing 70's style and colour scheme. Well done!

·
Administrator
33,753 Posts
Lovely Mike, great dial and hands :clap::clap:

·
Craftsman
4,015 Posts
Nice job Mike! She's a Beauty!

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Really nice transformation,and what a great watch :clap:

·
Registered
205 Posts
Really nice - great colours in the dial!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
499 Posts
Dear mike,
Could you please check the dial part no. in the green one?
Is it 6139-8084T?
Thanks a lot.
BTW - great watches. Congratulation.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts