The Watch Site banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
626 Posts
strange .. I sold that watch a couple of months ago, and it left me after having been in for a service, i'm reasonably sure it didn't need anything other than regulation. Saying that, the biggest fault when the watch came to me was a broken mainspring which had stripped a few teeth off the mainspring barrel as part of its self-destruct sequence, it could be the watchmaker replaced the mainspring and barrel, saw the watch was working OK and didn't go further.. the end result on Watchguy's blog is impressive :)

Attachments

·
Registered
626 Posts
When I saw '4520' I was almost expecting it .. they are not exactly common! If it wasn't for the spotty dial that watch would be perfect, I think the 4520 is the king of GS movements (and the one that was used for the observatory trials) .. I much prefer it to the 4522 with date.

The 4522 I have myself also has a bit of dial damage but it is from being, at some point in its life, overoiled and them subsequently stored on its side - there is a stain on the edge of the dial where the lacquer has started to lift off. It's not extremely noticeable.

I have a pet hatred for redialled watches and would prefer an original dial with a bit of damage to a 'looks like new' redial any day - the thing is the level of workmanship on these old Grand Seiko watches is not achievable by any redialler.

·
Registered
845 Posts
I wouldn't wouldn't get too upset about Watch Guy's assessment. Nor would I engage his services. Images depict a non-standard order of disassembly.

·
Registered
3,327 Posts
Hmmm. I'm not a watchmaker and the stories on that site look very impressive. What would be a correct order of disassembly? (I'm just curious)

·
Registered
626 Posts
Watch guy's work looks ok enough, and of course it's the watch owner's prerogative to order any work done.. my comment was simply that I was surprised to see a watch that was previously mine being serviced the 2nd time in as many months :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts