The Watch Site banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday I ventured down to the Wako Building in Ginza, and had the pleasure of trying on the new Grand Seiko SBGX117. I won't attempt to give any kind of formal review. I didn't spend that much time with the watch. I will say that it has the same exceptional build quality as every GS. Personally, I liked the SBGA029 that I tried on that day even better. However, I'm not sure either of them is worth the premium over their Prospex counterparts. For my money, I'd rather have an SBGT037 and an SBBN015 for the same money as the SBGX117 and less than the SBGA029.
Thanks for reading.

Attachments

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, I don't like the font of the numbers. I think that's a common complaint. Also, I really wish it was day/date like most of Seiko's other divers.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Yeah, I don't like the font of the numbers. I think that's a common complaint. Also, I really wish it was day/date like most of Seiko's other divers.
font is definitely wrong..but just can't understand what's in the head of Seiko's design team.

While I'm happy with the date only.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The Spring Drive was definitely heavier and felt more substantial. The SBGX117 just wasn't what I was hoping a GS quartz diver would be. The SBGT037 with day/date is currently my favorite GS.

·
Registered
111 Posts
The Spring Drive was definitely heavier and felt more substantial. The SBGX117 just wasn't what I was hoping a GS quartz diver would be. The SBGT037 with day/date is currently my favorite GS.
I think I need to specify my question:
Do you think the SBGX117 is a good alternative if somebody thinks the SBGA029 is too big and heavy?

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I think I need to specify my question:
Do you think the SBGX117 is a good alternative if somebody thinks the SBGA029 is too big and heavy?
In that case, yes. I think the 117 would be a good alternative in terms of it being a smaller sized watch. I'm not sure on the specs, but I'd say that it wears smaller for sure.

·
Registered
111 Posts
In that case, yes. I think the 117 would be a good alternative in terms of it being a smaller sized watch. I'm not sure on the specs, but I'd say that it wears smaller for sure.
Thanks!
SBGA029
44,2mm excl crown
Height: 14mm

SBGX117
42,7mm excl crown
Height 13mm

Weight is pretty much the same.
I have tried on a SBGA029 on a few occasions and find it very large, but just put a down payment on the SBGX117 hoping it will wear smaller, that's why I asked.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Thanks!
SBGA029
44,2mm excl crown
Height: 14mm

SBGX117
42,7mm excl crown
Height 13mm

Weight is pretty much the same.
I have tried on a SBGA029 on a few occasions and find it very large, but just put a down payment on the SBGX117 hoping it will wear smaller, that's why I asked.
Wow, congratulations then.

·
Registered
652 Posts
Funny bezel, if you want GS

in a Prospex, you can't look past the SBDB009 Spring Drive tuna. It has everything that Seiko has made great. The Spring Drive movement, tuna case and shroud in DLC Titanium, awesome and flexible Seiko diver rubber strap, ceramic bezel and incredible Seiko lumen

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I have a 5626 King Seiko and a 9943 Grand Quartz with no lume, and they're very visible even in low light. For me, the lack of lume isn't a deal breaker.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts