The Watch Site banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey I realize that I never finished posting my GS fix after the post about fixing/fabbing the day date corrector http://www.thewatchsite.com/20-mod-restoration-reviews-how-i-modded-restored-my-watch/98594-grand-seiko-5646-7010-day-date-corrector-rocker-wheel-fab.html

There ended up being a lot more besides that!
After I finished the day day corrector I had more problems...
-A pivot on the pallet staff was broken so I had to find/fab a replacement... ended up grabbing a King Seiko (poor guy) and using parts.

The shellac in the picture was loose too so I redepthed and shellac'd the replacement.

-Was getting weird deltas in some verticals so I took a closer look at my jewels...

There was a chipped jewel so I pulled one from the King Seiko and rejeweled

-Swapped out the balance wheel while I was at it. +dynamic poising

Polished some parts up

Including screws... Before

After

You can see the brass day date corrector sitting in there

Date flips correctly now and it's averaging 3s/day. Didn't touch the case besides light rouge because the scratches are from when my father owned it and I'd prefer to leave some of the "seasoning" haha.
I did however replace the mineral glass with a sapphire crystal because it was too scratched up.

I dont have a great picture of it all done but taduh!

·
Super Moderator
3,105 Posts
Thanks so much for posting in-depth about the process and issues you encountered, you did an excellent and thorough job! All the better that the watch has family history. We would all truly love to see more of your adventures going forward, don't be a stranger!

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
I have to ask - are you a professional watchmaker? I'll eat my hat if not...

Inspiring standard of work, thank you for sharing the final results.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Your KS donor

Dyo, would you sell me what's left of your King Seiko donor watch? PM me please.
Awesome work on the GS! Thanks, Dave

1 - 10 of 10 Posts