The Watch Site banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Banned
5,181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got this one today - won it on El Bay powered mostly on hope. The pictures were terrible.

First good sign? It arrived running. 8)

My first impression is that it's in the same basic shape (though not as beaten) as my now-lovely 6106-8237 when it showed up - though not nearly as extreme. That watch had a crystal that looked like it had been bead-blasted, completely obscuring the perfect dial. This crystal is scratched, but dealable. What we have here (to my eternal relief) is an original watch that has not been restored or seriously abused. With a new crystal and some very minimal cleaning, it'll be a real attention-grabber, and may be a long-term keeper! Bezel is in great shape, and rotates. Second hand and dial are unfaded. Someone CUT OFF the original bracelet. Seller doesn't have the pieces. Very sad.

The only thing that's interesting is the back says "Japan U". What's up with that? What does the "U" mean?

Oblique lighting with my terrible camera, but it shows the quality and condition of the dial and bezel etc:

The back.

Bright sun, showing the condition of the crystal. I guess I'll need to source a new one!

·
Banned
5,181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Mike!

Sometimes we get lucky; today was my day. I need to source a crystal - any direction on that?

·
Registered
185 Posts
Great catch..

looks to be in fantastic condition.

that "u" is the Suwa symbol, its one of the marks for a Seiko Factory in Japan.
Often it is on the dial and the case back of some pieces.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Congratulations! :)

That one is a classic, and it looks like it's in pretty good shape. Enjoy!
Cheers,

·
Banned
5,181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks all, I appreciate it!

I put an original "H"-type band on it that I had in the parts bin, and it looks pretty nice. I would swear, by the way, that this watch has rarely (if ever) been opened up. Someone tried to take the back off - there's a big honking scratch on the back - but they didn't succeed. I did give an experimental test with the remover, and the back is really on, so I didn't force it.

I found a crystal from Jonathan, so when it comes in I'll do the whole cleaning song-and-dance and do a before/after thread.

What are everyone's thoughts about this series Sport Divers in terms of value? It seems like they're not just collectible but becoming more collectible. It seems that more and more people are "discovering" this line of watches, and that they're coming harder to find, and when found they're more expensive. Am I right?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.