The Watch Site banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've wanted a Seiko Tuna sinse I was 15 and 30 years later it is mine.
The mail just arrived with a package fron Seiya 1 week to the day from the time I ordred it. I must say that Mr. Kobayashi was a joy to deal with and a true gentleman. Communication was prompt and superb and his service is exemplary. Kudos.
Now to the good stuff! I had originally been looking for an SBBN007 but the market has driven up the prices to ridiculous (IMO) prices. A watch that could be had a year ago for under $500 is now commanding north of $700 for a pristine example. So, long story short, I decided to get an SBBN017 brand new for a little more (very little, but that's between me and MR. Kobayashi). Thanks also to forum member JAN-10.
Price wasn't my only motivation mind you. I like the dial much better on the SBBN017. I just didn't like the concentric circles on the predecessor. The new dial looks much cleaner IMO and I love that it now says MARINEMASTER. I also like the signed crown much better and the metal keeper on the strap is a nice touch too. The only thing I really prefer on the SBBN007 is the philips screws attaching the shroud. I know the allan screws are better but I just LIKE the philips screws. But that's an easy impermanent change if I decide it really bothers me. I toyed with the idea of the SBBN015 and really like the brushd finish on the shroud, but I couldn't justify the nearly $400 difference. I prefer the brushed stainless bezel insert anyway so it's all for the good.
Impessions? This watch is stunning. The level of finishing is incredible. The styling is iconic and yet says precision machine at the same time. It's a serious little tool, no doubt about it. The bezel action is a joy and is crisp and precise with just the right amount of tension. The second hand hits every marker dead on and I will report accuracy after a few weeks.
I am thrilled with my purchase and don't regret the decision to buy new over used. It was well worth the little extra to me and one of life's joys is peeling the the little stickers and protective films off of new Seikos. Not to be missed.
Here's some quick pics...I'll save you the tape peeling, box cutting, un-bubble wrapping portion that seems to be a tradition here.

Attachments

·
Registered
78 Posts
AWESOME!! Thats on top of my list. It looks sooo damn clean! Congrats on the pickup! I hope I don't have to wait that long to obtain one.

·
Registered
4,564 Posts
Congratulations on a fantastic looking timepiece. Wear it in good health.....

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
Congratulations on your grail conquer, Aurelius!

Here's some fresh complimentary SSBS018 tuna salad to give a warm welcome to the new member at CLUBE DE TUNA...

With a little someone eager to taste it!

·
Administrator
33,827 Posts
That sure looks good, you have to say that the Tuna has a presence all of its own, nice 8)

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Chris said:

Here's some fresh complimentary SSBS018 tuna salad to give a warm welcome to the new member at CLUBE DE TUNA...

[img]
[img]
[img]

[img]
[/quote]

Thanks Chris. I'm proud to finally be a member of this club.
Now...time to start saving for the Darth[quote=Chris]

[img]
[img]
[img]
[img]

[img]
[/quote]

Thanks Chris and everyone else. Nice to finally be a member of Club Tuna. That's a very nice 1000m. Sigh, time to start saving for the SBBN011.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts