The Watch Site banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So. After not getting a new watch for such a long time. I am now on my second new (old) watch so far this year.

This is my first kinetic watch. It's a 5M42-0L20 (A4)

While i was back in Glasgow at short notice for the last few weeks my brother gave me it. Was his since new.

Has anybody any info on the movement inside. I will be doing a search online for a user manual. Think it might need the capacitior changes. As my brother told me it stops alot. But i think it could be that he isn't very active or excersice.

So i now have a white dial for the next 'show us your white dials' post :)

Thanks for looking.

·
Registered
63 Posts
It might just need a good charge. Wear it out for a vigorous half hour walk or run. Or wave it back and fourth gently but firmly in a full forearm arch for an hour or as long as you can put up with. I did it for about 2 hours all together to get the charge up on a Seiko Caesar.

Next time you're in Glasgow give me a shout and I'll buy you a pint!

·
"The Prospector"
4,620 Posts
Apparently you need to shake it 200 times for it to run correctly, well I did with my kinetic diver as per the instructions.
Hope this helps :)

·
Registered
6,381 Posts
i know i loved the kinetic i had...kept great time and just always worked...looks like you got a great one too

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
If it doesn't charge up, changing the capacitor will turn it in to a (sort of) ordinary quartz. I have an early one rescued for me by PollyC and despite not wearing it often due to the ever increasing rotation period, it's keeping good time just sitting in the box. New technology has vastly improved battery capacities and it should run for ages without having to charge it as often.

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks everyone. Thinking it's the capacitor that is gone. A good bit of shaking and moving but keeps stopping.
Will try some more just to be double sure. But it is a nice looking dial. Might be going for a repair.

Sent from my LT30p using Tapatalk

·
Registered
261 Posts
you can test the capacitor when you get it charged. if it doesn't hold, change it yourself and if you haven't done it before, have a pro do it. I tried a battery change on a cheap watch and failed miserably. don't lose a great timepiece!!! run like heck and keep that guy moving...
jim

1 - 12 of 12 Posts