The Watch Site banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently ran across a Venezuelan beauty on the auction site that looked like it had a few parts I could use. I made a lowball offer and it was accepted.

The watch is a pile of junk -- as expected -- but has what looks to be a usable 6139-6002 dial. It needs a relume and has a couple flaws, like a small mark above the 7:00 plot and some edge damage that is covered by the rotating ring. Primarily, though, it's just plain dirty.

SO ... I'm asking the assembled brain trust: assuming water alone won't do the job, what's your recommended way to clean one of these dials without damaging the finish?

Thanks.

·
Registered
6,156 Posts
Well I have used Windex and have had the best overall results with that
I have used water and a little dawn dish washing liquid on really dirty ones but need to figure out the ratio that works for you...
try on a junk dial to see what works best
I have even used iso alcohol too
But what i use most is just plain distilled water and either a soft q tip or a cotton ball on the tip of a q tip
Dial is quite nice too
Great find my friend
Stay safe out there
God Bless,John

Sent from my SM-S727VL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,156 Posts
All of these Use with Caution
Test before you jump in with two feet
They might not work for your application so please try on a Junk dial first...
If you damage your dial ...
Not my fault
These are all things I have tried over the years
Stay safe out there
God Bless,John

Sent from my SM-S727VL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
400 Posts
I'd go with moist rodico with distilled/deionised water first. If that doesn't budge the grime, you can try good ol' saliva on a cotton tipped stick but try it on an inconspicous area first as my saliva dissolved the lacquer and white print on a dial. Remember the old adage when attempting a dial clean-"I'll only make it worse!"

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
I will put in a few thoughts but I am by no means and expert here. For heavy contamination such as dust or dirt start with a hand held blower and remove most of the loose debris with that first. You can also use a very gentle lens or makeup brush to lightly dust the surface. Rodico works great for removing tiny surface specs of dust or smudges on metal plating on indices but use with caution. I have had Rodico remove printing and you need to be very careful around the edges of the dial and sub dial as it will lift any lose paint. What has worked more often than not for me is a ladies makeup sponge wedge dipping the edge in some lighter fluid (Naphtha) and dabbing the dial surface. This will remove any oil and most often dirt. The fluid left behind evaporates very quickly leaving a clean surface. Unlike alcohol, I have never seen this stuff remove or damage printing.

·
Registered
4,605 Posts
I still haven't tried it yet but a friend of mine swears by a 1/2 tab of denture cleaner
I've heard this before but haven't tried it. I think Grammerofdesign is the one that mentioned this method.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts