The Watch Site banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,899 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I got a free Elgin WW2 UDT canteen watch free yesterday from a friend.
So I will try to get it going, going to be hard to get any parts but have some already with this one.
It has a original Dial signed "USNBUPERS ", on it . But the case will need to probably be changed to a better one later.
So , its going to be quite difficult to find some parts, but I will take the challenge for it.
It is in a little metal container now so it be safe as it waits to be built.
This guy had it in a ( Kiwi Shoe Polish Tin.) He said he has had it for who knows how long.
He found it with some other things he got in a garage sale about ..... 15 years ago.
It is a little guy about say ....... " 32 mm " .
Got the movement but might need more parts, it is a ........
( Elgin 647 17jewel, Adjustable, Hand Wind. ) They also came with a ( 539 movement also.)
So I took it and now I have ............. " One More lingering Project ".
I know no one will part with one , but if you have any parts to rid of " I will Like to know about ..... IT ".
I got it from a guy, swapped a " Fifth of Jim Beam " for it.
I had and used one while in Vietnam, but gave it to a very close Buddy back then.
It looks like these Three pictures posted.
Click on number three picture, the dial and you will see the faint stamp on the dial.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,381 Posts
that is a very cool little watch...can't wait to see you work your magic on it...it will look new again..

·
Registered
379 Posts
Cool looking watches but I always wondered how practical they are to wear with the jerry can crown?

Look forward to hearing of progress - good luck with it:)

·
Registered
3,899 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
The Elgin I have

I was given one like this when I served in Vietnam, well I swapped for it. Gave a whole (Fifth of Jim Beam) for it. The guy was just getting rid of it he said so I got it. Before I left Nam, I had a very close Buddy there another shooter Pal. He and I were ........... " Paper & Glue ".
In thinking if never saw him ever again I wanted to give him a remembrance of who we were there and always have been since sent there. I gave him the watch I had and he liked it very much as a token of my gratitude towards him for who he was.
I also had a bunch Seiko Divers and I gave him ..... Three different types also. They all Had Jaffi Jurado Bracelets too. Because the were very comfortable for us. When you are in a hot climate a single band or Bracelet fits great and does not collect perspiration and dirt.
Well I had some many watchs ( close to ... . 50-80 ) different types I had to have a box to keep them all together.
(The one I used daily I painted it Black as to not reflect. )

(Could not have anything shinny on me like that .... NO NOT ON ME, at all. )
I'd be a sitting duck for the other guy.
The thing looks like a .... " Nickel", on my ..... 7 1/2 - 8 + wrist.

·
Registered
3,899 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
mrwozza70

Cool looking watches but I always wondered how practical they are to wear with the jerry can crown?

Look forward to hearing of progress - good luck with it:)
They had a getting use to effect on using them. The Canteen Cap could be annoying to the inner wrist if payed attention to if one had a small wrist.
Me it did not bother at all, it was so small but it was very convenient to have. I missed it for a while but I had so many Seiko's and others it did not bother me at all.
Disgusting part of them they were ...... " Hand Wound ". If they were like the 6309's they would have been winner's.

·
Registered
3,899 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Elgin UDT

Totally mad.... love it!
Thanks Tony , yes I like it too, so as far as fixing it I will give my effort to it. It was FREE, so have to do something about it.
Funny when he gave it to me and I saw it I raced back to when I had the one in Vietnam I had and remembered it real quick.
I wore it ..... 24/7 in Nam on my wrist no matter what, it never failed to run in top shape too.
Hope I can find the rest of the parts for it and get it going.
Aloha Tony , LongBike

1 - 8 of 8 Posts