The Watch Site banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First time painting watch hands and I could use a paint recommendation. I got a set of plongeur hands from Yobokies, but the orange Harold uses is a bit more neon than what I had in mind. I'm considering repainting the minute hand and the tip of the second hand to more of a "standard" orange - does anyone have a good orange spray paint in mind? Right now I'm considering Rustoleum Chevy Orange Enamel paint but please let me know if better options exist.

Also any general hand paint-stripping, priming and luming tips are appreciated! I've done repainting on other projects, but never for watch hands so I'm not sure if there's any specifics to keep in mind.

·
Registered
6,187 Posts
I recently painted a second hand on one of my chronographs and was pleased with the result. Don't have an airbrush kit so did it by hand with a brush using model paint.

I find Humbrol enamel paints are much easier to brush, but the pigment is quite coarse, and the carrier medium is very thick. If you thin it down too much, the pigment can separate out. Eventually worked out fine (I think) after a bit of trial and error

·
Registered
5,905 Posts
I recently painted a second hand on one of my chronographs and was pleased with the result. Don't have an airbrush kit so did it by hand with a brush using model paint.

I find Humbrol enamel paints are much easier to brush, but the pigment is quite coarse, and the carrier medium is very thick. If you thin it down too much, the pigment can separate out. Eventually worked out fine (I think) after a bit of trial and error
View attachment 450373
How do you mount the hand for the painting ? I've seen various techniques.

·
Premium Member
1,715 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
I just put it on rodico and use paint same as the one they use for plastic model with fine brush. The trick is to clean the hand thoroughly and try to apply the paint in one pass. If this doesn't work the first time then stripe the paint out and do it again until you have the desired result! This is a citizen I restored recently where I painted the seconds hand red!!

Good luck!!!

Sent from my SM-G950N using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,715 Posts
I just put it on rodico and use paint same as the one they use for plastic model with fine brush. The trick is to clean the hand thoroughly and try to apply the paint in one pass. If this doesn't work the first time then stripe the paint out and do it again until you have the desired result! This is a citizen I restored recently where I painted the seconds hand red!!

Good luck!!!

Sent from my SM-G950N using Tapatalk
Nice Work.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts