The Watch Site banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took my pulsar in for a new crystal and the jeweler glued in the replacement vs using a gasket, should I be concerned about occasional water exposure? Should I insist he replace the gasket? the watch is never submerged it is more of a dress watch. thanks for input, Stan

·
Super Moderator
3,206 Posts
If done properly, yes, a crystal can be glued into place and offer some water resistance, although I typically sleep better at night with those which are held in place with a gasket, as glue deteriorates faster over the long term compared to a gasket . Gluing an oversized crystal into a watch that was supplied with a gasketed crystal is a cheap/easy way around ordering genuine parts and doing it the best way possible. If you feel you paid for the best way possible and did not receive it, I'd go talk to the jeweler/watchmaker. BTW, was this a "jeweler" or a "watchmaker"? Jewelers do not receive the same training on repairing watches that watchmakers do, unless they have gone through such additional education/training beyond their "jeweler" training. I have no idea if his credentials are sufficient- do you?

·
Super Moderator
3,206 Posts
Forgot to answer the rest of your question (with another question of course): What is the water resistance rating of the watch to begin with? How old are the rest of the gaskets? Did the watch pass a water resistance test recently? All of these are pertinent in answering your question.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yeah I am going to request he replace the gasket, the watch is rated for 100 meters, has a screw down crown, the case back gasket is new it was replaced when I had the battery replaced, I paid 50.00 for this replacement as the original broke through the center, it looks better without the gasket but like you said you feel better with the gasket in where it was supposed to be.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Also, in the event you need the case worked on and the crystal removed, a glued crystal can be difficult to press out without breaking/damaging.

I picked up an SKX007 for modding and the previous crystal was 'glued' in place (on top of the gasket). Shattered when attempting to press out.

The only time I would be ok with gluing is when there is no other alternative. YMMV, of course.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts