The Watch Site banner

Getting the right stem and crown 6139-6002

8K views 16 replies 7 participants last post by  SeikoPsycho2 
#1 ·
So the crown fell off the stem, and then I have a problem getting the stem to engage correctly
So I think I want to start from the beginning and do it right.
When I bought the watch I posted here and it was pointed out that the crown is wrong. So I want to get the proper crown.
So I start wondering if I have the correct stem
Mine has the gear to rotate the bezel, so I start to check the auction site for a 6139 stem
What is coming up is a generic stem "that may need to be sized"
Is this correct?
The other thing is that the stems seem to be threaded to the crown, and my current stem is not threaded all the way to the crown, and the gear is not threaded, but slips on and fits a square section that holds it.
Do I have the wrong stem? Are the stems listed as 6139 not for -6002?
Here is a picture of the stem listed on the auction site, and a picture of my stem

On mine, there are threads for the crown (which I have been told is incorrect and something I need to change) but then there is a straight part until the square section which holds the gear in place.

Where do I get the correct stem, crown, gear to make my watch happy?

See less See more
#2 ·
The stem in the picture is wrong for that watch. You need a 357612 (I think that's the number off the top of my head) stem that has the square portion for the ring gear. Everything looks fine except the crown. Just get the correct crown and screw it on your old stem.

Are you pushing the release button on the movement as you try to insert your stem? This usually helps.

#3 ·
The stem in the picture is wrong for that watch. You need a 357612 (I think that's the number off the top of my head) stem that has the square portion for the ring gear. Everything looks fine except the crown. Just get the correct crown and screw it on your old stem.

Are you pushing the release button on the movement as you try to insert your stem? This usually helps.

A close up of the 357612 stem.

#8 ·
Could be. I know that I have had trouble in the past because that protrusion had to be removed but the stem always still seemed too long without being cut down further. I posted for anyone to show a picture of the complete stem assembly with the crown, cog and spring in place just for comparison.

#10 ·
A new stem will need to be trimmed in order for the crown to fit properly, almost flush with the side of the case. The trick is getting the crown almost flush with the side of the case without trimming the stem too short. If the stem is trimmed too short the quick set for the day-date won't work properly.

Measure twice, trim once.............:)

#11 ·
I have changed these out before and yes, you have to trim them. This usually means cut, dress the end, install the crown and test in the watch. Repeat as necessary. When you have the length right, the crown should be flush with the case.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

#15 ·
That's a PM. (personal message)

And yes, I have one.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.