The Watch Site banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,282 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw these over on Gear Patrol and found the website.

I was unaware that the official brand was resurrected ...

Anyone have and hands-on with these? Would be interested to know if they're worth the $80.

I have a couple of Larry's for half the price and really like them.

·
Registered
5,907 Posts
Larry's Uncle Seikos are nice indeed. I have an actual Tropic branded strap on my 62MAS dating back to many years ago it has stayed soft and supple after all the years. I wonder how long the Uncle Seikos will retain their flexibility and trustworthiness ?

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
I’ve have not seen the new ones in person. But i believe its the same company as isofrane, so my educated guess is it will be similar to that.

I have several of the old ones from the 60s and 70s. Until now they are perfect. Soft and comfy, no signs of age. I’m using on a couple of my watches actually.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
Well until recently I had an original "real" Tropic strap and while there were no cracks, it was pretty stiff. Fast forward to now and we have had a number of suppliers offering their "versions" including Uncle Seiko. The reason I put versions in parenthesis reflects my cynicism because it is IsoFrane who bought the brand "Tropic" and I would not be surprised that in an effort to cash in on the brand awareness, they will go after those suppliers that use the word tropic in their marketing. Sure, Isofrane make nice straps but they're expensive as hell and as far as I am concerned there are many cheaper and arguably comparable alternatives out there. Bear in mind, my bias in this regard is also influenced by IsoFrane's advertising campaign offering a free N95 mask w/filter with every order, which to me is cynical and tone deaf to say the least.

·
Premium Member
9,282 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well until recently I had an original "real" Tropic strap and while there were no cracks, it was pretty stiff. Fast forward to now and we have had a number of suppliers offering their "versions" including Uncle Seiko. The reason I put versions in parenthesis reflects my cynicism because it is IsoFrane who bought the brand "Tropic" and I would not be surprised that in an effort to cash in on the brand awareness, they will go after those suppliers that use the word tropic in their marketing. Sure, Isofrane make nice straps but they're expensive as hell and as far as I am concerned there are many cheaper and arguably comparable alternatives out there. Bear in mind, my bias in this regard is also influenced by IsoFrane's advertising campaign offering a free N95 mask w/filter with every order, which to me is cynical and tone deaf to say the least.
I was unaware until now that Isofrane acquired them, but not surprised. Not being a diver, I've always scratched my head at $140 for a rubber dive strap. Seems like crazy money to me.

And yeah shameful in my opinion to be offering up a free N95 with every order; that becomes a pretty expense mask.
Ugh.

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
FYI.....Tropic is a brand name of Isofrane ( I put tropic style strap in a listing) How does Uncle Seiko market these?

From ebay below
  • Your listing was reported by Synchron Uhren Manufaktur GmbH for using their brand name inappropriately. eBay’s Verified Rights Owner (VeRO) programme offers intellectual property owner(s) a way to report listings that they believe infringe on their rights
  • Brand names cannot be used in listings if the product isn’t manufactured by, or compatible with, that brand. You may use "compatible with", "fits", or "for" before a brand name, if the item described is specifically designed to be compatible with the products of that brand
  • If you believe a mistake has been made, you will need to contact the rights owner directly. If the rights owner approves your appeal, please have them contact us directly to reinstate your listing(s)
You can send an email to:
[email protected]

1 - 7 of 7 Posts