The Watch Site banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I wonder if I could ask for help on the subject of a watch I bought on eBay recently, please?
I have just started buying/collecting watches and Seiko in particular. My technical knowledge is low, to say the least, for now - but hope to learn a lot. This could well be my first lesson.

The watch in question was described like this on eBay:

"THIS IS A USED REFURBISHED SEIKO 6309 TURTLE FROM DECEMBER 1984"

The watch is in pretty good condition. To me, it looks like it could be as old as the description says. But, it hasn't been keeping particularly good time. However, today, it has only lost about 3 minutes, so far. On other days, it has lost twenty or more.

If it is a genuine watch, I would like to get it fixed. If it is not, I wonder if it is worth getting it fixed?

I have no particular reason to think that the eBay seller has deliberately sold me a fake. I hope not, anyway.

Also, I was thinking of buying a 7002 off eBay today. I'm a bit concerned I may get caught again, if I have been duped with this watch.

Attachments

·
Registered
578 Posts
Depends on your definition of fake, the dial and hands and bezel insert are not genuine Seiko, but tend to get called 'aftermarket' ... The case and movement are probably Seiko but will have been polished... I have to say its a pretty unpleasant aftermarket set, there are a lot better out there, new Seiko parts are unobtainable ... Unless its very cheap I would pass on this , and by cheap it needs to be $150 to give you room to make it better... The seller is being honest enough in the description though... Refurbished means given new non Seiko aftermarket cosmetic parts....
Edit.... I reread and see you bought it already, get some decent aftermarket parts and it will be fine.... If it was properly refurbed it should have had a movement service and the timekeeping wouldn't be that out, rather than spending cash on trying to get a worn out movement to run right i would try to find a nos 630-9 movement from a dress 6309 and swap them out, at least you would have a good base, unfortunately you are looking at spending a fair bit of money to get this one up to scratch....

·
Krusty Olde Pharte
4,745 Posts
I agree with Jason. There is a lot of AM in that one. The time to ask questions is before you buy, not after.

Oh, and that Turtle name is an ebay seller's thing. No (or very few) members here will call the 6309-704x a Turtle.

·
Administrator
33,229 Posts
Have you a link to the auction Paul ?

Often but not always these types of buys end up costing you more in cash and time than if you pay a little bit more at the beginning and buy original to start with imo.

ps: When I see "Turtle" and 6309 mentioned in the same post i am put off right away :)

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you very much for your help and comments. I paid about $180 for the watch (118 pounds sterling). I think I saw a Seiko dress watch with 6309 movement for sale on this or another forum for around $60. Looks like I made a bit of newby mistake with this one. Maybe rectifiable though?

·
Ultimate Collector
3,295 Posts
It is always worth joining a forum like this to learn before you buy. There are usually several 6309 divers for sale on eBay, but most are 'refurbished' i.e botched up cheaply to make them look good for a quick profit.

Some 'aftermarket' parts are truly hideous.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi John,

You are dead right.

I had good communication with the seller and thought I was buying the real thing. Lack of experience on my part.

The thing is, I wasn't after a cheap watch. I am more than happy to pay the right price for the genuine article.

I will definitely be checking this site before buying again. And, hopefully, buy from this site.

I will post the eBay auction link in a minute. I needed to have posted 5 posts here to include a link.

·
Administrator
33,229 Posts
Thank you very much for your help and comments. I paid about $180 for the watch (118 pounds sterling). I think I saw a Seiko dress watch with 6309 movement for sale on this or another forum for around $60. Looks like I made a bit of newby mistake with this one. Maybe rectifiable though?
One thing about these mistakes they do help you to learn but it costs :)

It is rectifiable but if you fit a better after market 6309 dial and hands it will always be a non original 6309, might not bother you personally but if further down the line you decide to sell it will really affect the value and original dials and hands in good condition are pretty hard to find and if found not cheap.

Then if you add a replacement movement or a service to the ongoing cost it is beginning to mount up :(

New bezel insert, gaskets..............

You would be better to either dump it in a bin now or perhaps go for a mod ?

·
Registered
578 Posts
Well, you got it cheap, the reason is that most buyers steered clear, as Tiger said, it's a pretty steep learning curve with these, a decent one will cost you £250 ish....the buyers description is a generic one with no specifics to this watch, I bet he uses the same for all his watches.... In all honesty I would delist it with a honest description and take what you can for it and then take your time in looking for the right one... I doubt you will lose too much... Good luck and as has been said, ask first lol ... Lots of collective knowledge here....

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
Hi Paul. I'd like to offer a different opinion, one that is not so pleasant unfortunately.

You are in it for $180. Getting a better set of replacement parts and a replacement movement is likely to run another $150 or so (movement, dial, insert, hands, gaskets, crystal). Then it's got to be put together. You could learn as you go and do it yourself, or pay someone to do it. In the end, you'll have a $300+ watch that will still be chock full of aftermarket parts. You can get a decent, all original one for that money....a bunch less with patience and luck.

My advice? Find a better, all original one. Keep this one as is. There is a great thread on the forum on tearing down and rebuilding a 6309. It was a group project and very well documented. Use this watch as a learning tool. You will learn a great deal and have some fun in the process.

In my opinion, a better use of the money you have already spent rather than investing more.

Also, hang in there! Safe to say we have all had some clunkers. Part of the learning curve. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thank you for your suggestions and comments.
I will put this one down to experience, or lack of it :).

Both daveswordfish's and John's suggestions appeal. I would like to do something with the watch - either rebuild it or mod it. I know nothing about doing either, so a chance to learn.

If it was keeping good time when I got it, I probably would not have looked deeper into it. I'm glad I did though. I'd rather know what I've got than what I think I've got.

·
Premium Member
2,062 Posts
Also, I was thinking of buying a 7002 off eBay today. I'm a bit concerned I may get caught again, if I have been duped with this watch.
Ive just had a quick look through the bay using "Seiko 7002" in the search box.
Theres only one that has potential, a 7002 7000 and even that has had the case polished to death and appears to have an AM bezel insert. Theres also a 700j listed "with original dial" but it isnt, and the bezel insert isnt correct either.

I wouldnt be buying a 7002 from the bay today.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hi ivorbiggin,

Thank you for looking for me. I think I will give any eBay purchases a miss for a little while.
I appreciate your help.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
There has been an interesting development re the 6309 I bought on eBay.

I contacted the seller to let him know about the not genuine status of the watch.
He is very p'd off to say the least. He says that he doesn't want me to have it and wants me to return it to him for a refund, so he can add it to his own collection.

·
Premium Member
2,062 Posts
Make sure you send it signed for and tracked, Then theirs no chance of the seller claiming its not been received and not giving a refund.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts