Genuine or Fake

2K views 26 replies 14 participants last post by  sophiemckinney 
#1 · (Edited)
Genuine or Fake

Attachments

See less See more
#6 ·
I'll give a go:
Lume looks as if it has some curvature to it, and it's shiny - I've never seen that on OEM.

Fonts are off, especially the dial numbers along the bottom. Close spacing of "L" and "T" seem suspect. "Water Resist" font not quite right, either.

The "sword" at 12 o'clock also has some curvature up into the blade where it's typically right angles on the lume side of the guard, to continue the analogy.

And the Suwa symbol isn't very good. It seems compressed vertically and more rounded toward the points of the whirlpool.

#11 ·
It's a fake for all the reasons mentioned - plus I have an image of the back - I'll post some more shots tomorrow, (the images are on my computer), as the guy is also pushing out cases and casebacks.

They have obviously got the bevel and 6 o clock marker position correct, which, as has been said is an improvement on some sold in the past.

I'm surprised that they are not faking the 6306 dial as this watch is now sought after and more "valuable"

But all around the "fakes" are improving - and bits are cheap at around £10/US$15 or even less - 90% of the 6309's on ebay now seem to have fake dials +

#12 ·
More and more guys are going to get burnt as the after market stuff is getting better and collectors who don't do there research are going to catch a cold and the prices the stuff full of fake/after markets parts are selling for is pretty amazing.

At last weeks watch fair many of the Seiko offerings where wrong and when a friend mentioned to one dealer that his Seiko was fake he dident want to listen because if he dident know it was fake then he wouldent feel bad about selling.

#13 · (Edited)
Some of the Seikosis stuff looks pretty good, but I highly dislike the fact that their auction descriptions are purposely ambiguous and don't clearly state "aftermarket". Some of their desciptions say "Brand: Seiko" which would imply made by Seiko.

Several years ago when I was new to collecting vintage Seiko I sent them a some messages on eBay asking if some parts were aftermarket, and even still they wouldn't say yes/no, but rather used round'about terms such as "Seiko replacement part" or "Seiko OEM spec part".

#14 ·
That dial is a fake.. this shows the importance of research in your hobby. The dial is everything. A fake dial renders the watch almost valueless- a parts donor. Research, research, research, - know your hobby!

6306 dials are faked too, especially Scubapro 450 dials. Bearing in mind a genuine Scubapro 450 dial in good condition is worth over a grand on its own. Just the dial!

#16 ·
That Dial is Scary :eek:hmy: Beveled Date Window and Dial Text below the 6 hour marker. Many Thanks to all the sharp eyed members who have done an exceptional job pointing out all the errors and mistakes. Very Helpful so when we see this turd we can avoid it.

On the Fake 6309 Dial my eye is immediately drawn to the Lume plots. Shiny and Blobby. Everyone knows how much I seriously dislike Shiny Blobs ;)

#19 · (Edited)
Here's the back of the dial and the Case that has appeared on eBay - unfortunately they gave the show away immediately with the word CROP - the shape of the area between the lugs is wrong

But, as has been said, they are getting better

These parts were described as "Seiko" - with no mention of "Aftermarket"

Attachments

#20 · (Edited)
Here's another ebay fake which I actually bought for BIN £190 - I saw it was a fake from the no-bevel and poor quality text, (a little "smudgy"), but I quite liked the look of the bezel insert, (which I need), maybe original with a slight pip problem, by the triangle flips over the edge which is good, plus the case looked in great condition and if I can buy a "rough" 7548 with a good dial for the right price it would make a nice mod, (my first venture into "mods).
The watch runs "great" - and the crown threads, etc., are in good nick - 2 turns plus

(combine this with the one in my first posting and they are getting near)

I may buy another couple if they are cheap enough

Attachments

#23 ·
Hey did anyone see someone is making New Seiko 6309 cases with dials and casebacks?
I just ran across this
I am kinda surprised no one here seen it on EBay
Is this from that listing?
God Bless,John

Sent from my SM-S727VL using Tapatalk

#24 ·
Hi John - yes the images are from eBay - UK sellers - I tend to look through all 6309 704X listing as the model interests me.
I am collecting images of all the "fakes" or to be polite "Aftermarket" parts that I see.
It looks to me that 90% of listing now have aftermarket parts fitted - usually dial and hands, then bezel insert.
I would say only about 20% of sellers indicate that this is so - maybe the rest don't know, but I doubt it.

But the question is, with reasonable condition genuine 6309 704X prices rising to US$600 and more, if you can get a respectable looking 6309 7040/9 that has an aftermarket dial, hands and bezel insert for £200 to £300, (that US$260 to US$400), and you know what you are buying, is that a bad thing?

Or you can do your own for not much money - AM hands, dial and insert seem to sell for under US$40 ............. and now they are producing Cases!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.