The Watch Site banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
347 Posts
This story is quite scary!

Is it somehow possible that this part is really Seiko SPARE PART and that spare part is just a bit different then those produced directly to be used on watches in production, not replacement?

After all, Seiko also used to specify skx173 hands as original 6309 hands.

Wish you luck with this case!

·
Registered
778 Posts
If it was manufactured as a spare there's a chance it was done differently to the first run stuff.

I've seen a few bezels and inserts from my watchmaker and some of them have been slightly different. They still have the same sloping insert though.. But the knurled patterns on the bezel haven't always been the same.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Yeh I have doubts either way but I'm certainly not 100% sure and that for me is the niggle.

I don't believe fully that the insert is fake. The chamfer and lume pip and the insert underside metal ring is also there. What's the name for that again?

Good idea to weigh it, I have no digital scales though. Will try and source some before I send back.

I'd like to keep it, I'd also like to save myself and the seller the hassle. I told them to post here or wr but I'm not sure they would.

Anyway, I'll try and get back with better shots soon and a value for how much it weighs.

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
I've been following this with interest. I had a bezel and insert very similar to this that arrived on a 6309 729x. The bezel had the same knurling where the vertical cuts were deeper than the horizontal cut around the circumference. The insert was in really good condition and I looked long and hard to try to prove it wasn't legit, but I couldn't find anything definitive. Maybe the slope wasn't quite as steep as the other inserts I had? Maybe the triangle at 12 wasn't quite as sparkly? Certainly the lume pip was greenish, but that was consistent with the greenish lume on the hands of a later 729x.
In the end I decided any variations, if I wasn't just imagining them, we're just a result of a later production run.
Since the 729x had other faults (circular scratches on the dial from poorly fitted hands) I fitted the insert to a keeper 7040 and flipped the 729x.

Via the interweb from a land downunder

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
I thought that the central annular groove on original OEM 6309 bezels cut through the knurls to become a complete unbroken groove?

·
Registered
304 Posts
Bodo, after a few days of looking at that bezel insert, I must say its growing on me. Not saying it's authentic, but it looks more like a 6105 insert then a 6309. And I love me some 6105's especially yours.

·
Registered
7,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
I think Tristan had cracked it. Is a 6309-729a bezel part number the same as a 7040/9?

John, yes this is what made me curious from the get go. As in your picture and mine, the bezel pattern is the same on most 6309-7040s, with the central ring groove running uninterrupted.

Tristan's pic there shows the pattern much the same as this new one.

Bos, I'm not sure about a 6105 bezel. Maybe too much slope to match one, but it certainly has features I've really not seen on AM parts, but David's assessment I trust
Although I'm sure he would agree also that better shots and a shot of the lume pip underside would help.

Anyway I will see if I can get some scales, otherwise I could do with getting this back asap as one thing I think is certain. It's not a 6309-7040 bezel that I'm looking for. Whatever it actually is, maybe Tristan's worked it out?

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
Here's a better pic of that knurling on the bezel - after I'd swapped the beat up insert into it.
Just take into account that the different cut depths might account for any variation in the weight of your bezel to another bezel.

Via the interweb from a land downunder

·
Registered
7,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Well there is a WR thread that has come to the conclusion that it's genuine and likely a Singapore made replacement from the 90s.

I'm still not sure. Insert seems way too accurate to be fake, but the bezel isn't correct for a 6309.

I'm considering keepint it and removing the insert to install it in a 6309 with a very beaten up insert soon. Not sure what to do.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts