The Watch Site banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This Seiko automatic chronograph is one of the very first of this model, manufactured in June 1969 as shown by the serial number (first digits 96 represent the year and month of manufacture). This watch has all the hallmarks of the early 6139-6000 production - it's a Japan-only Speedtimer version, firstly, the case has a notch at 3 o'clock making the crown slightly visible from the front (in 1970 the case design was changed and the notch was removed), the seconds hand is a split-type with a separate centre part (again, this was changed in 1970). Also the watch is marked 'Water 70m Proof' on the front and 'Water Proof' on the back - this was changed to Water Resistant in early 1970.

This watch has the early 21 Jewel 6139A movement (later watches had the 17J version) - marked on the dial above the 6 o'clock subdial.

Movement is in good condition and working perfectly - it keeps decent time, day and date change and quickset as they should, the chronograph functions work and reset to zero snappily.
The inner rotating bezel is not faded (as is very common with this model) and rotates smoothly over the whole 360 degrees.
Dial is in pristine condition and there is slight darkening of the luminous material on the hands.
The day wheel is english/kanji.
There are a couple of dents on the bezel at around the 6 o'clock mark - these are visible on the photos, together with a few small chips on the corner of the crystal in this area.
I felt it was not worth replacing the crystal for such small damage and it would be better to keep the watch as original as possible.
Case is high quality solid stainless steel and in very good condition - most of the factory brushing/polishing is still visible and the edges are sharp with only slight signs of use.
This watch has never been polished - keep in mind that a polished watch might look nicer but the original lines can never be restored once they are gone!

The bracelet is an original Seiko bracelet for a 6139-600x however I do not think it belongs to this watch as it is the later version with wide shoulders.
It will fit a 7 3/4" wrist or thereabouts.

£280 (price reduced from £330)
includes registered shipping worldwide + paypal fees.
I can provide numerous references.

Contact me via PM on this forum or by email: [email protected]

1 - 2 of 2 Posts