The Watch Site banner

21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Special Member
2,325 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Excellent work Kyle. Glad to hear you were able to avert the migraine which as I understand can be quite debilitating. Here in Calgary with the Chinook winds coming across the mountains folks who are afflicted with migraines get absolutely hammered. Stay healthy big guy.
Thanks Russ. The Modern Medicine of Triptans is truly a Miracle Drug for Migraine sufferers! It's been many, many years since the last time I had a full blown debilitating Migraine :) Now they are just a minor nuissance :)

·
Registered
5,282 Posts
+1 to only using 3M sanding blocks. Don’t use that cheap block you show a photo of.
3M products cost more but are always worth the extra money because all of their stuff works well and does what it is supposed to do. I get them cheap off eBay in quantity. 320 & 150 grit are the main ones. I like a well used 320 grit for final work. And yes use 3M blue tape for masking off the rest!

I’ll try the Bergeron 5444 per Acidstain.

I have a secret for getting that satin finish where needed: crocus paper.

·
Special Member
2,325 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
On the Bench :)

I've had this Dial and Hand set for a long, long time. A very unique lume color and I've never seen anything like it. Not white, or off-white, or cream, or orange, or tan, or light grey. It is Lemon Yellow. I should have the completed 6309 all together soon :)

·
Registered
4,441 Posts
Nice job Kyle! I made a jig out of case back plastic disks for brushing circular tops of cases. I wrap 220 sand paper around a piece of popsicle stick and use the arm of the jig to get perfect lines, I just use the arm as a guide and follow it around the circle. I found that using something hard doesn't wrap over the edges and keeps the edges sharp and no Mark's on the sides. That's the method I used for the 6319-6000 project I recently posted. Very simple jig, works very well.

Attachments

·
Registered
212 Posts
Nice job Kyle! I made a jig out of case back plastic disks for brushing circular tops of cases. I wrap 220 sand paper around a piece of popsicle stick and use the arm of the jig to get perfect lines, I just use the arm as a guide and follow it around the circle. I found that using something hard doesn't wrap over the edges and keeps the edges sharp and no Mark's on the sides. That's the method I used for the 6319-6000 project I recently posted. Very simple jig, works very well.

Very good idea!

·
Registered
6,089 Posts
On the Bench :)

I've had this Dial and Hand set for a long, long time. A very unique lume color and I've never seen anything like it. Not white, or off-white, or cream, or orange, or tan, or light grey. It is Lemon Yellow. I should have the completed 6309 all together soon :)

Any pics of the completed watch?
God Bless,John

Sent from my SM-S727VL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,089 Posts
Please stay patient and trust the journey my friend... good things take time :)
Well that is so true my friend
God Bless,John
Patience is learned and not always easy to accept but well worth the wait

Sent from my SM-S727VL using Tapatalk

·
Special Member
2,325 Posts
Discussion Starter #30 (Edited)
Thank You Gentlemen for your Patience. The 6309 movement did not look good on the timegrapher and on closer inspection I could see a slight wobble in the balance wheel. Balance was replaced with a NOS Balance, movement was regulated, and now is running like a champ ;)

Straps??? Flat Vent Diver strap is always a solid and dependable choice for a 6309 Diver but I like to have some Fun ;) Many Thanks to Jon (Grammarofdesign) for gifting me the OEM Seiko Spring Bars :) Sometimes I find that it's the very small acts of kindness that make the biggest difference in the world. Thank You Jon!

More Photos on the Way!

·
Registered
911 Posts
That looks amazing Kyle! Great job! Btw something to point out. I noticed that after the brushed finishing the surface shouldn't be too dull/matted. I could be mistaken but from what I've seen with NOS cases there's a bit of shine. This shine highlights the concentric lines of the brushed finishing. What I hadn't mentioned in the previous thread is that I applied a thin layer of Brasso and did a quick single wipe with a cloth.

Sent from my Phone 2 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,282 Posts
That looks amazing Kyle! Great job! Btw something to point out. I noticed that after the brushed finishing the surface shouldn't be too dull/matted. I could be mistaken but from what I've seen with NOS cases there's a bit of shine. This shine highlights the concentric lines of the brushed finishing. What I hadn't mentioned in the previous thread is that I applied a thin layer of Brasso and did a quick single wipe with a cloth.

Totally agree that it helps to slightly smooth out the brushed lines in some instances. For that I use crocus paper which is a bit like sandpaper or emory cloth but it is somehow different and positively miraculous !

..;) Many Thanks to Jon (Grammarofdesign) for gifting me the OEM Seiko Spring Bars :smiley: Sometimes I find that it's the very small acts of kindness that make the biggest difference in the world. Thank You Jon!

Likewise your kind words are beyond repayment !

·
Special Member
2,325 Posts
Discussion Starter #33 (Edited)
Thanks Guys. All of these great ideas are Very Helpful :) I have many different metal polishes here from gritty abrasive to extremely mild (almost like fine toothpaste). I've never heard of Crocus Paper and one day I would like to give it a go.

·
Special Member
2,325 Posts
Discussion Starter #34 (Edited)
Hard to see the brushing lines from profile photos. Circular brushing pattern is more visible from looking at the watch straight on.

·
Registered
911 Posts
Hard to see the brushing lines from profile photos. Circular brushing pattern is more visible from looking at the watch straight on.

30 years from now this watch would be listed as "original factory polish still showing through the patina"

·
Special Member
2,325 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Why wait 30 years. I have already completed the Ebay listing:

Watch is in 100% Absolute New Old Stock (NOS) condition and still has the original OEM Seiko Factory brushed finish and sharp case lines. Case has never been refinished, rebrushed, or polished. Rare opportunity to purchase an Extremely Rare Seiko 6309 that remains exactly as it left the Seiko SUWA factory 40 years ago. Watch has also been professionally sterlized to remove any deadly Corona Virus so it is ready to be worn. Don't miss this one.

·
Registered
911 Posts
Why wait 30 years. I have already completed the Ebay listing:

Watch is in 100% Absolute New Old Stock (NOS) condition and still has the original OEM Seiko Factory brushed finish and sharp case lines. Case has never been refinished, rebrushed, or polished. Rare opportunity to purchase an Extremely Rare Seiko 6309 that remains exactly as it left the Seiko SUWA factory 40 years ago. Watch has also been professionally sterlized to remove any deadly Corona Virus so it is ready to be worn. Don't miss this one.
Make sure you mention and emphasize on the straps too. Throw in a random box and papers in the mix and you got a perfect recipe for success

·
Special Member
2,325 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Sending my Prayers and Moral Support to the Extremely Brave People of Wuhan China. Stay Strong!

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
The only thing I would update from Tom's procedure is not rotate the case back and forth but rather go in one direction. I simply pushed the case in hard (deep enough into the sponge so I was completely brushing the lower lugs) and then rotated in a continuous counter clockwise direction. I anchored the sponge, pushed the case in hard, and walked around and around. Not very scientific or sophisticated but it worked ;)
The reason for the back n forth is because Seiko’s normal brushing is lots of broken brush marks rather than perfect joined circles. If you go back n forth with a slight pressure change you’ll get a brush closer to original.

·
Registered
911 Posts
The reason for the back n forth is because Seiko’s normal brushing is lots of broken brush marks rather than perfect joined circles. If you go back n forth with a slight pressure change you’ll get a brush closer to original.
Lots of Sabi on the case but you can still make out the lines. Seems like the lines are consistent.

But the ones on the Pogues seems more like what you're describing.

21 - 40 of 41 Posts