The Watch Site banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Special Member
2,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey Guys,

I woke up this morning with the onset of a Migraine headache. Pressure was building so I took my Migraine medicine. After taking the medicine I like to do something easy and non-stressful while the medicine kicks in. An easy task just helps to keep my mind occupied.

https://www.thewatchsite.com/34-watchmaking-tinkering/320713-circular-brush-finishing-seiko-6309-a.html

So I thought it was a good time to finally attempt the 6309 Case Re-Brushing. I used the above thread for guidance. Thanks Moe and all the contributing members for all the Helpful hints. This is not rocket science like building a Saturn V Rocket. I think it turned out OK and My Migraine is now Gone!

The watch as purchased - An Overpolished Blob of Molten Metal - Just Awful looking!

The Highly Technical and Carefully Engineered Re-Brushing Machinery

Final Result

·
Registered
5,306 Posts
Wow what a transformation Kyle. Congrats on the major improvement.

I agree case or bracelet finish where it is not polished bright and shiny and not brushed leaves it in never-never land. a case like the one in question you can't tell if it was once brushed and got worn down or if it was once polished and got scratched up, of course we know but to the casual observer it's just as you say a blob.

So a good rebrushing done RIGHT can be a saving grace.

Your end result is spectacular.

·
Special Member
2,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Jon!

I totally agree - a round cushion watch case with a polished surface really looks just terrible. A brushed finish dulls the shiny metal and just look refined. Perhaps the previous owner did me a great favor by polishing the case. There were no heavy or deep scratches to the case so he left me with a smooth even surface to work on.

With a well prepared surface the brushed application was easy and the final result was a dramatic change. The rebrushed surface certainly does not look like Factory NOS but to my eye it does not look very different than an original factory finish with years of normal wear. Easy projects with dramatic results are so much Fun!

·
Registered
395 Posts
That's a great result.

Did you end up using any tape to mask off the polished sides?

·
Special Member
2,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That's a great result.

No tape and I did make some new marks/scratches to the sides of the Case from the Re-Brushing. I am lightly polishing the sides right now and the marks are coming out nicely.

·
Special Member
2,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That's a great result.

Thanks for all the kind comments. I just finished lightly polishing the sides of the case while trying to keep a very sharp top edge. Turned out much nicer than I expected :) Next time I will most definitely use tape to mask off the sides before rebrushing ;)

Case is finished. I will get the movement on the timegrapher tomorrow and then hopefully reassemble the entire watch.

·
Special Member
2,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Although this photo looks like a sanding sponge with a round cutout for rebrushing a Seiko 6309 Diver Case it really is an extreme magnification of the Corona Virus from Wuhan China.

One of my neighbors brought over a face mask for me today. A super cool black one with a textured round front. I look like a bad ass Ninja!

·
Registered
6,090 Posts
Although this photo looks like a sanding sponge with a round cutout for rebrushing a Seiko 6309 Diver Case it really is an extreme magnification of the Corona Virus from Wuhan China.

One of my neighbors brought over a face mask for me today. A super cool black one with a textured round front. I look like a bad ass Ninja!
Hey we all want to be a super cool ninja
Great work my friend
Thank u for sharing this with us
I know I will try this myself
Can u tell us what the sanding sponge is and grit?
So we can find one for ourselves

Sent from my SM-S727VL using Tapatalk

·
Special Member
2,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Can u tell us what the sanding sponge is and grit?
Glad you like it John. Here is the quote from Tom in the earlier thread:

Scotch brite won't give you the finish you need. You'll need a 3m sanding sponge. They come in different grits. It's best to have them all so you can get as close to the factory finish as possible.

Cut out a circular section in the center of the sponge the diameter of the watch crystal. You only need to remove the grit from the sponge. Then place the watch case top side down in the circular section you just removed. slowly rotate the watch case back and forth. This will give you a nice even circular brush finish on the top side of the case.

Tom has a lot of experience and always offers excellent advice so I always listen to Tom :)

I searched for 3M sanding sponges but could not find any here. But I found these generic sponges. I love the extremely precise grit grading on the sponges ;) Coarse on 1 side and Fine on the other :)

I experimented with both sides on some junk cases and I like both. Obviously Coarse makes deeper brushing lines and Fine creates thinner lines. I choose the Fine but I would have been just as happy with the Coarse. Unfortunately I have no idea how this sponge would translate to 3M grit.

·
Special Member
2,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The only thing I would update from Tom's procedure is not rotate the case back and forth but rather go in one direction. I simply pushed the case in hard (deep enough into the sponge so I was completely brushing the lower lugs) and then rotated in a continuous counter clockwise direction. I anchored the sponge, pushed the case in hard, and walked around and around. Not very scientific or sophisticated but it worked ;)

·
Registered
6,090 Posts
The only thing I would update from Tom's procedure is not rotate the case back and forth but rather go in one direction. I simply pushed the case in hard (deep enough into the sponge so I was completely brushing the lower lugs) and then rotated in a continuous counter clockwise direction. I anchored the sponge, pushed the case in hard, and walked around and around. Not very scientific or sophisticated but it worked ;)
Well thank u for that info
Thank u for that my friend
I have a few i want to try and get closer to the factory finish
This will work better than my method
God Bless,John

Sent from my SM-S727VL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,170 Posts
Excellent work Kyle. Glad to hear you were able to avert the migraine which as I understand can be quite debilitating. Here in Calgary with the Chinook winds coming across the mountains folks who are afflicted with migraines get absolutely hammered. Stay healthy big guy.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Great work Kyle. I have my own technique for redoing circular brushing not too dissimilar to the one you used but it is nice to see something different. Thanks for sharing and great result.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts