The Watch Site banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After much time surveying, Renata batteries all seem to have leaking issues, Maxell seem to have better sealing properties....

Another AquaLand bites the dust.....

·
Registered
631 Posts
Bummer! Can the Aqualand be saved?

Did you make note of which location the bad battery came from - digital, analog or sensor?

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sensor....Working on saving it, the analog seems to be stuck....
They all had some leakage, some got removed from all in the battery swap....

·
Registered
6,732 Posts
wow...so sorry..there is nothing worse than bad batteries

·
Registered
3,931 Posts
Battery Leakage

NOT REALLY, .......... Read below carefully.

Strip the watch totally.
Be =======(careful of those little pegs ) =======on the movement body they break easy.
( 2 3/4 Threads )... Two and Three Quarter longer. )
Use a little artist brush on it.
==========( Careful Of Those Little Pegs ) ====================
Do you see the bent one there that's it. )
Wash the board, and brush it a little lightly action.
After a little while run hot water over it to get it clean.

Do not press down hard on it .
Now take a couple of ( Q-Tips ) and lightly clean the board of an dust or residue till it shines.
Lightly clean the ...( 3) Three contacts on the sides of the board for the pushers.
You can if you do not know how to dis-assemble the movement.
Place the stem into the movement , hold that plastic down while doing that also, see it next to the movement.
I usually use the ...." Contractor Blue Tape ", for holding it on till I am finish servicing.
Now you can service the movement with out dis-assembling it , just turn the Crown and service the gearing.

Assemble the board and continue the rest, it is very easy ....... ,
============= But caution always is on ........( Those Pegs ). =========
Continue the assembly to finish every things else. Now you can put the movement into the case.
slip them little over the pin tip, then hold them with a Tweezer, but do not ..... ( Plunge it deep into the sensor. )
Now close the Crown and screw it so it is at its position.
It should work if nothing is damaged.
===========================================
Do you see those little pegs on the board, be careful not to touch or break them.:57::72:
===========================================
NOTE:
( Find a old one and strip it a few times to get use too it. )
If you need help let me know and P/M me I will help you where I can ,
............ No Problem..........

I use Energizer ( 371 ) Batteries now for a while , seems good too.
Aloha LongBike

Attachments

·
Registered
6,732 Posts
Long Bike you are so knowledgeable....thank you for always being so giving and helpful...great to say you are my friend...

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
Stopped using Renata years ago for that very reason. Am changing 60 ish batteries per year and definitely saw far too many Renata batteries leaking.

Switched over to Maxell and have recently started using those Seizaiken ones (made by Seiko)

·
Registered
6,732 Posts
well i am so glad i found out....will never buy that brand

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Had to clean the gear train, and train plate. Clean and reassembled...not much fun with the digital parts still attached, but voila and we are working...yipeeeee

Thanks for the info, will add it to the Citizen kb.

·
Registered
526 Posts
I use Maxell,Energizer or Seizaken but to be honest i never had a bad issue with Renata so far(my watchmaker carries them so i used them in the past).

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
I have had really good luck with Energizer batteries. They also seem to be in good supply in these parts as well as priced very inexpensive. I can usually pick up a 10 pack of the more common sized like the 370/371 of Amazon for about 8 bucks and the shipping is free. I also have noticed that a lot of quartz watches that I purchase of eBay that have dead batteries in them are Renata batteries. I rarely see them offered at to many places around here. It's all Duracell and Energizer on the store shelves.

Michael

·
Registered
3,931 Posts
Had to clean the gear train, and train plate. Clean and reassembled...not much fun with the digital parts still attached, but voila and we are working...yipeeeee

Thanks for the info, will add it to the Citizen kb.
Aloha .......... ,
Just a little point Sir,
After a week or so use of the watch, you might want to re-open the case back and check for any residue that left in yet .
Sometimes it shows up after cleaning a week or two later.
( I always re-check the bad ones again to make sure. ):93:

Note Of Precaution :
( There is some residue left, check again, you can count on it too. ):93:
Better to check than loose a good watch later on.:72:
Aloha

·
Registered
3,931 Posts
Pull the Crown out till it clicks.
( The place it changes the hands to set them... 1 click. ) Protect the Crystal by placing it on a soft cloth.
Just remove the screws carefully and lift the case back slowly. No need to remove Crown/Stem at all.
Then check them out real good looking at them. Be careful with the components inside. Don't touch them
with your bare fingers if possible.
( Human hands have Salt in perspiration also . )
( Note: Use .... ( Plastic Tipped Tweezers )

If they are good gently replace the Sealant, if none put some lightly on it. ( Silicone the Oval Gasket. )
( Be sure it does not get into the case also. )

Note of Precaution to watch for:
When you use gasket Silicon, let it dry good till it forms a solid film on the case, of Crystal area.
If you close the case up right away, the ..... " RESIN FUME'S " from the Silicon will eventually effect the Movement inside.
Make sure the pusher's are not hung up when the movement is placed into the case.
Now " DO NOT " tighten only one side, .... ...... ( tighten in sequences of Criss - Cross ... X - action.
Tighten the Two from the Sensor a little, go to the left side do those two there, then the top lightly , then
the bottom. Continue this process till all are tight the secure all of them and eventually it will sit good.
Before total tightness always check the gasket for its sitting in the groove then continue till tight.
Don't crank it too tight, but enough to stay tight. If it is ok then you are set to use.

To re-set I pull Crown all the way out , simultaneously press .... ( All 3 Buttons several times ) then
push Crown back in and screw tightly, not to over-tight also.
If needed for diving .... I would suggest changing the Crown, Case Back Seals , then pressure testing.
The Crystal has no gasket but the use of only a factory (Nylon L-Shape Seal), that need not to be changed unless it is damaged.
Note:
( No need to remove the Crystal seal when rebuilding the watch unless it is damaged. )
( Very hard to find them.) ........... (( For me I make them myself if needed. ))....
Hope this helps a little , if need ...P/M me I will help you with what I know.
Aloha LongBike

·
Special Member
3,400 Posts
typical, I never had any problem with Renata batteries. Usually I only put silver oxide batteries in watches. Alkaline batteries I have "laying around" sometimes already leak when they are still in the packaging.

·
Registered
631 Posts
I wonder would it do any harm to run with only two batteries - one for digital and one for analog...leave the sensor battery out?

Easy to tell when analog or digital battery is dead, but if you don't dive, you'd never know the sensor battery is dead.

·
Registered
3,931 Posts
I wonder would it do any harm to run with only two batteries - one for digital and one for analog...leave the sensor battery out?

Easy to tell when analog or digital battery is dead, but if you don't dive, you'd never know the sensor battery is dead.
The watch is programed to work with all three so might as
well use ........ Three. JMO.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts