The Watch Site banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to the site and discovered it while looking for information on a watch I had misplaced and rediscovered in some old boxes in the garage. I received it as a gift in 1995 and assume it was manufactured that year or the year before. The strap had become very brittle and broke off when handled. The back appears to have some type of residue or stain but I haven't tried too hard to get it off, not wanting to damage the watch at all. I plan on taking it to a shop to be cleaned and to purchase a new strap but wanted to see what anyone might think of it. How rare is this watch? I can't find another just like it for sale but maybe I don't know where to look. I see lots of 7002 numbers but none just like this one that's actually for sale. Anyway, any opinions or information regarding this watch would be much appreciated. I apologize if I have violated the decorum of the forum in any way! Thanks all.

Attachments

·
Registered
7,587 Posts
Not hugely rare imo but hard to find one that hasn't been tampered with or is isn't in poor condition. They're not too desirable along with the other 7002 divers, probably a combination of the bezel on these and the square indices of the others. Nice condition yours though, these sometimes have an SKX bezel fitted as a nice modification to the look.

·
Super Moderator
2,059 Posts
Nice find.
Its not a particularly rare watch, but it is rare to see one in that condition, most have rotted lume and the bezels are scratched to death, with most of the black paint missing.
The serial number shows it was made in July 1994. IIRC they were only produced for 2 years, 94 to 96
Alas as already said the 7002's are not popular watches (yet), so not worth huge amounts at the moment, but finding one that's all original and in the condition that yours is in, is getting much harder.

There were 2 versions of the 7020, one has a hard to find midnight Blue dial, and the other a black dial, is yours Blue or Black?, might sound like a silly question, but the Blue dials always look Black in pictures.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you for all of the extra info regarding when it was made, much appreciated. I took it in for a polishing and a new strap. The strap is not exactly the same but is still a black rubber. And the face is black by the way. The polishing took all of the residue off of the back and it looks brand new now. I'm really happy with how it wears. Thank you everyone for the opinions and information, I really appreciate the hospitality.

·
Registered
7,587 Posts
Well, I might have suggested not to polish it or remove the residue as that would have been the caseback sticker as Mike said, which would have added to the value of it.
When you say polished has it removed the brushed lines? Either way it's still in very good condition.

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
Not hugely rare imo but hard to find one that hasn't been tampered with or is isn't in poor condition. They're not too desirable along with the other 7002 divers, probably a combination of the bezel on these and the square indices of the others. Nice condition yours though, these sometimes have an SKX bezel fitted as a nice modification to the look.
Great idea on the use of an SKX Bezel. I find the original bezel on this watch hard to live with . The SKX will solve that issue. But then the watch will be considered "with aftermarket parts". Which is better than "100% original" but looks hideous.

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
Great idea on the use of an SKX Bezel. I find the original bezel on this watch hard to live with . The SKX will solve that issue. But then the watch will be considered "with aftermarket parts". Which is better than "100% original" but looks hideous.
Haha

It's definitely a design that hasn't stood the test of time. Mind you, Breitling still seem to sell them.

Watches with all steel dive bezels have got to be one of my biggest turn off's in these circles.

·
Super Moderator
2,059 Posts
The SKX bezel is slightly different and not a direct fit for the 7002 200m.
If the bezel is fairly worn it might just fit OK, if not, then metal removal is required.
The only bezel which will fit correctly is one from a 7002 7039.
Its so much easier just to swap over the whole case and bezel for a 150m 7002.
Like so

WP_20170529_22_01_37_Pro - Copy.jpg

·
Super Moderator
2,059 Posts
I thought the SKX bezel would seat straight over to a 7039 Ivor. I take it that is incorrect! :)
Some say it will and others say it wont, ive tried a new SKX bezel onto a 7020 and it wouldn't fit. I can only assume the ones that did fit were worn.
The inner diameter is the same, but the SKX is not so deep on the inside as the 7002, so wont click down. Its only out by approx 0.5mm, but its enough to stop it from fitting.

I actually like these style bezels, they are very similar to the styles used on the Breitling Colt and several models of Tag. The SKX 171 carried on with the same style bezel. I suppose as its not a "traditional style" Seiko bezel, Seiko collectors don't seem to rate them.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts