The Watch Site banner
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just discovered that some Seiko Divers are rare and valuable. Went looking in my dresser drawer for the one I bought in Japan on R&R from Vietnam in late 1967. Sure enough it's a 6215-7000 (SerNo 7600302). I'm not a diver so it was seldom worn and not at all since 1975. Spotless face and back - slight surface scratches on the sides. When I examined it in 1975 it would not stay wound over night. A local (Tampa,Fl) dealer sent it to N.Y. for service and shortly after I got it back the strap broke and back in the dresser it went. Been wearing it the past week or so - seems to run well if a little slow (loses a minute every day or two). How do I find out what its fairly worth and safely sell it. I'm not a collector or enthusiast so I only know what I've been able to Google the past week. Would appreciate any comments. Thanks. Regards, George

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Will post pictures as soon as I figure out how to do that

Working on getting better focus - the strap with the book is the one that broke around 1975 - I don't recall ever changing straps until I put on this cheap one to wear to see if it still works - still ticking.

Got a box but don't believe it is the original - no SEIKO logo.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
Man that is totally awesome! I was extremely happy to get my hands on a 6217-8001. If I was able to get my hands on a 6215-7000 I would be one happy dude. Awesome find and thanks for sharing. Like the other asked I would like to see the dial also.

Michael

·
Craftsman
2,114 Posts
We could have a mystery solved here. I assume the picture is of the original strap that broke, if so it's a 19mm swiss made Tropic, which by the balance of probabilities also means that the catalogue picture of the 6217-8001 is on a swiss made Tropic. Who'd of imagined Seiko would fit swiss straps to their premier dive watches back then!

What do you chaps think?

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
We could have a mystery solved here. I assume the picture is of the original strap that broke, if so it's a 19mm swiss made Tropic, which by the balance of probabilities also means that the catalogue picture of the 6217-8001 is on a swiss made Tropic. Who'd of imagined Seiko would fit swiss straps to their premier dive watches back then!

What do you chaps think?
That would be great because I would love to fit my 6217-8001 with the original band if possible. It is so nice to see pictures with posts of unmolested original watches. very valuable information.

Michael

·
Registered
210 Posts
I think you should keep it. You have a story to tell about your watch and the history behind it. I for one would love to hear about your time in Vietnam over a few drinks down the local pub. You can't put a price on this watch with the original owner still in possession.

·
Special Member
8,948 Posts
George, my advice, which is free and if you don't like double your money back, is to hold on to this for a while. Realize that it is an integral part of your life and a valuable watch at that.

Wear it and see if it begins to resonate as a reminder of your life's journey. If it is still 'just a watch', jump back right here on this forum and sell it to a true Seiko diver collector who can truly appreciate it. Please not on ebay - that's where speculators and watch resellers cruise for prey.

I hope it finds it's way back into being something special in your life.

·
Registered
309 Posts
George, my advice, which is free and if you don't like double your money back, is to hold on to this for a while. Realize that it is an integral part of your life and a valuable watch at that.

Wear it and see if it begins to resonate as a reminder of your life's journey. If it is still 'just a watch', jump back right here on this forum and sell it to a true Seiko diver collector who can truly appreciate it. Please not on ebay - that's where speculators and watch resellers cruise for prey.

I hope it finds it's way back into being something special in your life.
I agree. Unless you really need the money keep it. A watch is an intimate object that can connect you to important periods in your life.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.