The Watch Site banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just discovered that some Seiko Divers are rare and valuable. Went looking in my dresser drawer for the one I bought in Japan on R&R from Vietnam in late 1967. Sure enough it's a 6215-7000 (SerNo 7600302). I'm not a diver so it was seldom worn and not at all since 1975. Spotless face and back - slight surface scratches on the sides. When I examined it in 1975 it would not stay wound over night. A local (Tampa,Fl) dealer sent it to N.Y. for service and shortly after I got it back the strap broke and back in the dresser it went. Been wearing it the past week or so - seems to run well if a little slow (loses a minute every day or two). How do I find out what its fairly worth and safely sell it. I'm not a collector or enthusiast so I only know what I've been able to Google the past week. Would appreciate any comments. Thanks. Regards, George

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
That could be worth serious money (in the multiple thousands). Take your time and do your research before selling.

Oh, and post some pics here so we can take a look at it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Will post pictures as soon as I figure out how to do that

Working on getting better focus - the strap with the book is the one that broke around 1975 - I don't recall ever changing straps until I put on this cheap one to wear to see if it still works - still ticking.

Got a box but don't believe it is the original - no SEIKO logo.

Attachments

·
Special Member
26,484 Posts
Post of The Century...Original Owner of one of the most prized Seiko Divers in my Book :) And talk about Book, The Manual is intact. Is there a Box by Chance ?

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
Man that is totally awesome! I was extremely happy to get my hands on a 6217-8001. If I was able to get my hands on a 6215-7000 I would be one happy dude. Awesome find and thanks for sharing. Like the other asked I would like to see the dial also.

Michael

·
Craftsman
2,114 Posts
We could have a mystery solved here. I assume the picture is of the original strap that broke, if so it's a 19mm swiss made Tropic, which by the balance of probabilities also means that the catalogue picture of the 6217-8001 is on a swiss made Tropic. Who'd of imagined Seiko would fit swiss straps to their premier dive watches back then!

What do you chaps think?

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
We could have a mystery solved here. I assume the picture is of the original strap that broke, if so it's a 19mm swiss made Tropic, which by the balance of probabilities also means that the catalogue picture of the 6217-8001 is on a swiss made Tropic. Who'd of imagined Seiko would fit swiss straps to their premier dive watches back then!

What do you chaps think?
That would be great because I would love to fit my 6217-8001 with the original band if possible. It is so nice to see pictures with posts of unmolested original watches. very valuable information.

Michael

·
Registered
210 Posts
I think you should keep it. You have a story to tell about your watch and the history behind it. I for one would love to hear about your time in Vietnam over a few drinks down the local pub. You can't put a price on this watch with the original owner still in possession.

·
Special Member
6,533 Posts
George, my advice, which is free and if you don't like double your money back, is to hold on to this for a while. Realize that it is an integral part of your life and a valuable watch at that.

Wear it and see if it begins to resonate as a reminder of your life's journey. If it is still 'just a watch', jump back right here on this forum and sell it to a true Seiko diver collector who can truly appreciate it. Please not on ebay - that's where speculators and watch resellers cruise for prey.

I hope it finds it's way back into being something special in your life.

·
Registered
309 Posts
George, my advice, which is free and if you don't like double your money back, is to hold on to this for a while. Realize that it is an integral part of your life and a valuable watch at that.

Wear it and see if it begins to resonate as a reminder of your life's journey. If it is still 'just a watch', jump back right here on this forum and sell it to a true Seiko diver collector who can truly appreciate it. Please not on ebay - that's where speculators and watch resellers cruise for prey.

I hope it finds it's way back into being something special in your life.
I agree. Unless you really need the money keep it. A watch is an intimate object that can connect you to important periods in your life.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts