The Watch Site banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Special Member
9,215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
And that of course is our very own @GuyJ of Rexworthy Watches !

I've had a number of re-lumes of various vintage Seiko dials by a number of talented watch repair experts and always been happy, but due to the sterling reputation that Guy Jeffrey of Rexworthy Watches enjoys, I have always wanted to add one his masterpieces to my collection of re-lumed watch dials. Guy has rebuilt several movements for me including a few 62MAS's (including the only one I still have) but until now I never had the pleasure to own of his re-birthed dials.

So I sent him this photo of a dial that came in on a 6105-8110 RESIST that I picked up as a non-runner in need of a lot of TLC. Upon asking if he could take this dial on, Guy mentioned he had a new blend of lume that mimics the patina'd cream color in that family of hues that Daini watches have all faded to over time. He said I could be the first to try it. As soon as he said he was looking for a test case dial to restore, I knew right then I just HAD TO GET ME SOME OF THIS STUFF :giggle:

So he worked it over and this is the result pre-casing:
Font Circle Gas Road surface Gauge
Watch Analog watch Clock Font Material property

And now to the Wristies !!!!!

Watch Hand Analog watch Light Gesture

Watch Analog watch Azure Water Clock

Watch Analog watch Clock Watch accessory Material property

Font Clock Measuring instrument Electric blue Circle

Look at that night lume shot !

With that a HUGE Thank You to Guy @ Rexworthy Watches for his patience and expertise in bringing this one back to phenomenal condition !

·
Special Member
9,215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That's a nice result with that colour.

Out of interest was there any discussion on touching up the chrome surrounds?
These often suffer degradation but I don't see them redone.
Maybe there is no successful method?
Guy says he could do a full restore of the dial but it would involve matting the plots after a chrome airbrushing.

I know if you are not careful the thin layer of chrome rubs off to expose the underlying brass and that looks bad to my eye. I don't mind the bit of chrome surround degradation it matches to rest of the 50+ year old watch.

Here is a spare dial I still have to plan out a restoration for it. As you see it suffered the fate of brass exposure on the lume surounds:
Analog watch Gauge Clock Measuring instrument Motor vehicle

·
Craftsman
2,376 Posts
Jon - Beautiful work by Guy. You are amassing quite the collection of 6105 divers. Love seeing these before and after shots. It is wonderful to work on these hard lived dive watches and bring them back to their former glory to be enjoyed on wrist again.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts