The Watch Site banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Upon my daily search on craigslist I came upon a 6139-6005. He as asking $200 US dollars so I figured it can't hurt to look. Eded up getting to for less. The pushers are tight but function along with the inner rotating ring being tight. Everything functions as it should.

Upon further research of this watch since I never really looked into them before I found this may or may not be the original rotating ring. It has gains about 30 seconds in 24 hours. Really gaping with the watch in person and like it a lot more then I had ever thought.

My wife gave it the normal brush off and said it's nice, it looks like hangover piss yellow.

How did I do?

·
Registered
3,923 Posts
downtownfish- Well, considering the fact that you are happy with the watch, I would say that you did great. There is obviously some work that needs to be done to your timepiece for it to be fully functional such as the sticky pushers and the inner turning ring and perhaps a general service with gasket set. It may be the original inner ring just in a state of sun bleached condition from years of exposure. Parts can certainly be sourced and now starts your journey toward restoration or simply bringing it back to its state of full usefulness. You never really told us what you ended up paying, although I have to believe the less you paid, the happier you are with your new acquisition. Great find. BTW, did you happen to get any of the other watches in the picture ? :sign0098:

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sorry for the typos as I have have been enjoying endless mimosas. I paid $175 which seems to be close to the going rate for a hack job but that may or may not not be the complete picture. I have a new seiko in my possession so it's hard not to be excited.

The other watch was also a craigslist find but not this trip. I am happy either way but do want to know the state of the watch, and I know you are the people to ask.

I am truely ignorant of the state of the watch compared to the seiko divers out there.

·
Registered
250 Posts
It seems all original in your picture, the price you buy it is very good, it is a very important watch, 6139-6005 was made for the american market, you have the last variation of dial, the bracelet would be a tapered oyster, it seems straight, but is not a great problem.

·
Special Member
7,362 Posts
For sure the inner ring was a bright yellow and then faded over time, like they all do.

I think the price is good but not really fabulous, then again that's where 80% of the deals should take place. Having the original bracelet is a real plus, whether straight or tapered if it came with it, that's the one you want.

Congrats and enjoy !

·
Registered
6,720 Posts
well after buying a few of these now...this one looks good....just needs a few bits...great find and enjoy it...i love my ones...God Bless John

·
Registered
535 Posts
Wives are often cruel when it comes to justifying our watch obsession and countless purchases.
I am envious of that watch if it counts....

·
Special Member
2,886 Posts
The non tapered bracelet might be correct, depending on the production year...it's not a resist dial, so later than 72 and the tapered bracelets didn't happen till a couple years later.

Rob

·
Registered
6,720 Posts
hey could we see some more pics with the back shot too please...

·
Registered
912 Posts
As has been said - thats a great pick up! The inner bezel is correct, just faded as they all tended to do.
A good strip down of the case parts and new pusher gaskets will get the pushers working beautifully again I'm sure.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I am really torn about changing the ring to a yellow one. I think it is a better looking watch with the yellow. I don't see anything that sold recently on the bay so it seems they are most likely hard to come by.

·
Special Member
7,362 Posts
I highly recommend you refurbish the bracelet finish to it's original brushed/grained look.

Mine too had that never-never land not shiny polished/not brushed and it came out 100% perfect using the famous flapper wheel technique followed by 800 grit sandpaper.

·
Registered
6,720 Posts
Great info Grammer...thank you...i have been wondering how to do it..

1 - 18 of 18 Posts