The Watch Site banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
You may have seen my post from a couple of weeks ago when I reported that a small spring had sprung across the floor when refurbing a 6619 Sportsmatic.
Noah and 7S26B kindly provided info indicating it was the day jumper spring, #875400 and suggested some other movements that contained this spring. Unfortunately I did not have any of these movements going spare. Then Seikola offered to send a selection of similar springs.
Then PolyC (aka Mike) not only provided me with the spring but also the plates that hold the day wheel in place.
Quite frankly guys I never cease to be amazed by the folks on this Forum.
As a result of Mike's generosity I was able to put the Sportsmatic back together so I thought I would share some pictures.
When it arrived the crystal was cracked but using the Borel cross match guide I found the correct crystal on an old scrapper that I was able to polish up.
Next I did some light polishing on the case. I know some people will not approve of this but I prefer classic watches to look tidy. I then re-brushed the lug area to try to re-create the original effect.
The only parts I am not happy with are the hands. The lume has all worn away and I have tried to relume them but as you can see it is a bit lumpy. I am using a cheap kit which has lume powder and then what looks like white pva glue to mix it in. However careful I am the glue just clumps up the lume powder. I will have to get something better. I am in the UK so I will probably have to buy the Bergeon kit from Cousins at £30 but any other suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks again for all the help and I hope you approve of my renovation.
Chris

·
Registered
5,973 Posts
That was well worth restoring Chris. Its one of my favorite vintage case/dial/hand combinations.

You can try adding a little water to thin the PVC binder but I believe water will affect the luminous compounds efficacy slightly. Also worth trying is Halfords acrylic touch up lacquer. I have used both and prefer lacquer.

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
Nice one. My kinda watch too.

Mike has saved more than one watch for me and is definitely one of the good guys. There are others too numerous to mention (you know who you are :)). It's what this place is all about !

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
Congrats on getting it back together.

Mike was kind enough to gift me a mirror chapter ring for this one.

Thanks again Mike :dance:

·
Registered
931 Posts
You Know , Chris said it all...I like many also belong to other forums and the collective group of this one just stands out for me . I find it to be a very positive , helpful , informative , and friendly place to come and visit....
Let's keep it up.....Nice watch Chris

·
Registered
36 Posts
Very nice. I have a J12082 Silverwave. The inner bezel numbering is completely gone after I tried to clean it. The movement is amazing within a few seconds a day. The stem is incorrect or missing the cog too but the crown is correct. Absolutely love this watch.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

1 - 10 of 10 Posts