The Watch Site banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
6,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
For all the railing I have done over the years regarding those [email protected][email protected]$ who swing back door deals on ebay and don't let the auctions go to their fair and rightful endings, I found myself a participant in the "back door deal"

Having been on the look out for some time for a perfect King Seiko buckle to adorn my 5626 Chronometer, I finally found it. I offered the seller a fair bid to end early and sell it to me. He took me up on the offer, ended it early, and sent me an official ebay invoice so we did not circumvent the auction web site and their fair vig.

Very pleased. See photo. Truly the perfect match with the proper brushed center and polished edges, flawless NOS state. Couldn't be better suited.

I have been the recipient of having been offered back door deals as a seller before, but always turned them down, sometimes only to see the final winning bid lower than what had been offered. Now I find myself as the Back Door Man and I hate to say it, but I do not feel bad about it.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,300 Posts
well there is nothing wrong with talking with the seller...and being honest...i have made many deals myself..i think what most people have problems with is when others try and steal a deal...get it for cheap...i have been the buyer and the seller..i will deal with anyone willing to make me a fair offer and with the new ebay make a offer function when you email sellers...it makes it safe and better for both involved..

·
Registered
3,668 Posts
Welcome to the "Back Door Deal Club"
There are more members then care to admit.

One thing my Granddad taught me: It Never hurts to Ask!

·
Monkey Steals Peach
1,851 Posts
Nothing wrong with a little back door action.....:eek:

All kidding aside, it happens all the time, to the victor go the spoils. But I didn't see a picture of the buckle in question, would love to see what it looks like. I personally love having a correct signed buckle!

·
Registered
6,300 Posts
well you should not feel bad...only feel bad if you got it very cheap or stole it ...but getting that hard to find item is very rewarding and necessary to finish your project...

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
I don't think there's a problem with making offers to sellers when there are no other bids. What seems to cause offence is when bids have already been placed, which is another matter all together !

·
Registered
6,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Nothing wrong with a little back door action.....:eek:

All kidding aside, it happens all the time, to the victor go the spoils. But I didn't see a picture of the buckle in question, would love to see what it looks like. I personally love having a correct signed buckle!
Yes thanks I messed up the procedure so I just added the pix to the original post. SIAFTCIP Sorry in advance for the crappy iphone photos.

·
Registered
6,300 Posts
hey it looks great...nothing to apologize for...

·
Registered
143 Posts
Yes..nothing to apologize for. I've done deals like that as well as a seller too. Seller gets his item sold and you got a watch you really loved. Win/Win.

·
Registered
532 Posts
For all the railing I have done over the years regarding those [email protected][email protected]$ who swing back door deals on ebay and don't let the auctions go to their fair and rightful endings, I found myself a participant in the "back door deal"

Having been on the look out for some time for a perfect King Seiko buckle to adorn my 5626 Chronometer, I finally found it. I offered the seller a fair bid to end early and sell it to me. He took me up on the offer, ended it early, and sent me an official ebay invoice so we did not circumvent the auction web site and their fair vig.

Very pleased. See photo. Truly the perfect match with the proper brushed center and polished edges, flawless NOS state. Couldn't be better suited.

I have been the recipient of having been offered back door deals as a seller before, but always turned them down, sometimes only to see the final winning bid lower than what had been offered. Now I find myself as the Back Door Man and I hate to say it, but I do not feel bad about it.

Forgive me for I have sinned also. I ended an auction early and broke my golden rule!!!
I don't know how I feel about it.
The auction was a Seiko running man a714-5040 that was fairly beaten but worked well.
$250 posted.
I thought that was fair so I ended it.
Shortly after I got an email from another ebay member simply stating.... Not a happy camper!!
On investigating he got pipped on one at the last second for $590.
I can't see any evidence on ebay of it but still... I broke the golden rule, i may have not made a mint and I may also have disappointed at least 6 punters who were watching the auction.
Lesson learned

·
Registered
6,300 Posts
Well Cam...there is always angry people....well as long as you are happy with the amount you sold it for...and no one else was willing to offer you more...what is the problem...watchers are just watchers...if they are bidders that is different..

·
Registered
532 Posts
Pfft money.... It's not my motivating factor. As long as people are happy with their watch I don't care. As long as my hobby is relatively cost neutral.

(Except for the wants like a 7549 and a dress gmt kinetic and a victorinox airboss mach 8 and an omega dynamic day date and and and)

·
Registered
6,300 Posts
Well i agree...i would rather any of mine go to great homes...there is some people who will not be happy no matter what...

·
Registered
6,300 Posts
hey i have two of those....i maybe able to help pm me

1 - 20 of 32 Posts