The Watch Site banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,723 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there anyone else here that is interested in the flip clocks popular from the 1960s thru the 1070s?

They were of course made for the Japanese market, and meant to run on Japanese current, and thus require a transformer that is almost as large as the clock itself.

Has anyone else here fallen down this rabbit hole?

·
Registered
6,051 Posts
We had them all over our house. The brand we had was Lloyd. Ours were flip clock radio alarm clocks with sleep timers, a crazy innovation in the early '70s. The darn things ran well over 25 years before quitting. I imagine they just needed a strip down, clean and re-lube but as they stopped they went to the trash.

My dentist had one and I'd stare at it as he worked on my mouth. That's when you realized the hour indicator actually flipped several times during the hour being shown.

The LED killed the flip clock I guess. They are cool.

·
Registered
3,308 Posts
Nice space age one! I've got several, took some quick pics, this one lives under the tv, bought not running but only needed some lube for the AC motor, as most "defect" flip clocks needs. Very cool UV light for at night.
And sorry for the dust, this big "wood look" Sony I'm using as my alarm clock. Perfectly working after again some cleaning and lube.

Last pics another radio alarm clock. And I've got an orange Siemens somewhere...

·
Registered
3,698 Posts
We had one on our mantelpiece from about mid '70s until.....after I left home.....?
It was a smaller battery one that was totally reliable. Every couple of years or so my dad would replace the two A batteries.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts