The Watch Site banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi there,

I noticed that the Dial Ruler of my brand new SNA441 was not perfectly aligned – and I have had it replaced by another, which is (mis)aligned just in the same manner:
  • The top MPH-marker is not as far to the left (highlighted by square "1" in the picture) as it is to the right (highlighted by square "2" in the picture") – seems to be off by 1/5 second)
  • The inner Dial Ruler (fixed) and the Dial is further not aligned at the 6 o'clock hour mark (i.e. "19" on the logarithmic scale Dial ruler is not aligned at 6 o'clock) – (highlighted by square "3" in the picture".

My question is Two-fold:

1. CORRECT ALIGMENT
  • 1.1 Is it correct the "19" marking on the Dial ruler should be aligned at 6 o'clock?
  • 1.2 Can I expect to find a MPH-marking that is evenly aligned at 12 o'clock?

2. EXPECTATIONS
  • 2.1 Are these all mistakes that you should expect from a SEIKO-watch – or is possible to find a correct aligned watch, and I have just been unlucky?

I can easily return it – but would like to keep one, if I know it is fully in order. (Seiko Service Center Denmark was unable to provide help).

THANK YOU!

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hello! Congrats on your fantastic seiko!
Hi Scubafan,

Thank you for your response – and for the original frank and honest info.
I see that you have deleted it, is this because of the accuracy of the content, or something else?

Thank you kindly.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Hi Wagner! Yes, I deleted because I answered without looking at your picture carefully.
The inner chapter ring is indeed misaligned (seems rotated to the right). This is a very common issue
In Seiko divers, not very difficult to fix, but obviously the watch must be opened. It is your decision to keep it or not. Maybe you can get a discount. Good luck! Regards.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Unfortunately this type of thing is common on modern Seikos. Luckily in this case the misalignment doesn’t affect the function of the watch. The tachymeter is printed directly onto the dial so it will be accurate, and the alignment of the inner slide rule scale seems to match the outer scale without issue.

Ultimately the decision to return or seek a discount for the watch is up to you.

·
Registered
822 Posts
Is it correct the "19" marking on the Dial ruler should be aligned at 6 o'clock?

No, it is not correct. The logarithmic inner sliderule scale has nothing to do with the linear time scale. What IS important is that the inner and outer sliderule scales align, and they do with a very good degree of accuracy.

Can I expect to find a MPH-marking that is evenly aligned at 12 o'clock?

In all honesty, considering the price of the watch I think you're being a bit picky here. Yes, upon close inspection there's a very minor misalignment, but I suggest you learn to live with it and enjoy all the other aspects of the watch.

Are these all mistakes that you should expect from a SEIKO-watch – or is possible to find a correct aligned watch, and I have just been unlucky?

I think all in all, Seiko have done a good job with the dial and bezel printing / engraving. I doubt you'll find a better example than the one you already have.

I can easily return it – but would like to keep one, if I know it is fully in order. (Seiko Service Center Denmark was unable to provide help).

Keep it and enjoy it! :grin:

·
Researcher
5,311 Posts
:iagree::iagree:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you so much for your elaborate and honest answer! This has made me keep this beautiful timepiece :)

In regards to the alignment of the '19' vs. 6 o'clock – what got me confused was the linear most outer scale, each marking indicating 3 degrees. Apparently the "S" (yellow south indicator) is not aligned with '19'.
Looking more closely, you can also see that the logarithmic marks clearly shouldn't be symmetrical around the vertical axis formed by 6 0'clock.

The inner and outer sliderule scales actually don't align completely – but I have decided to keep the watch anyway, as it is in this manner in all images of the watch I have seen so far.
From around 24 to 50 on the logarithmic scale they don't align exactly.

This, and the minor misalignment of MPH, I am just going to live with – and instead enjoy the watch fully :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts