The Watch Site banner
21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Well gentlemen I recognize most of you as being some of the more well versed in Seiko products. I am not but, I found an absolutely perfect original 6139-7039 with which I am very happy ( not the most sought after, but has understated elegance for a chrono I think). I guess this spoiled me somewhat and started my interest in these late 60s and early 70s Seikos. I am very concerned. Being from a small town, rural area it will not take long to go thru all the potential sources to get a hands on look at a watch. After reading most input here, I feel I cannot get an authentic watch from any one at auction. Either descriptions are lacking or the photos are altered ( or both) It is certainly a case of if the buyer does not ask, the seller will not tell. That may be fair in and of itself but it is a bit disingenuous. All I want is an authentic, original product and I am willing to pay for the ones I want. It would just be so much easier to have a relationship with known respected repairers / dealers.

·
Registered
249 Posts
How would you shill bid a Best Offer?

·
Registered
685 Posts
Well gentlemen I recognize most of you as being some of the more well versed in Seiko products. I am not but, I found an absolutely perfect original 6139-7039 with which I am very happy ( not the most sought after, but has understated elegance for a chrono I think). I guess this spoiled me somewhat and started my interest in these late 60s and early 70s Seikos. I am very concerned. Being from a small town, rural area it will not take long to go thru all the potential sources to get a hands on look at a watch. After reading most input here, I feel I cannot get an authentic watch from any one at auction. Either descriptions are lacking or the photos are altered ( or both) It is certainly a case of if the buyer does not ask, the seller will not tell. That may be fair in and of itself but it is a bit disingenuous. All I want is an authentic, original product and I am willing to pay for the ones I want. It would just be so much easier to have a relationship with known respected repairers / dealers.

I wouldn't loose heart, ebay is full of genuine watches. Yes there are many tarted up ones out there, and many with incorrect parts, but there are also gems.
The secret is to do a little research before committing. Some of the more popular watches have buyers guides here on the forum, there's a photo data base as a guide, and if you can see the model number of a watch you like, do a forum search.
It's very easy for those of us who have a bit of knowledge to scoff at some of the really crappy watches offered at silly prices, but to a novice, some of these watches look legit.

·
Registered
6,771 Posts
well that is right...there are more great untouched watches out there...what we see online is just a small percentage of all that were made..so never loose hope on what we need to finish a project...or that must have watch...

I wouldn't loose heart, ebay is full of genuine watches. Yes there are many tarted up ones out there, and many with incorrect parts, but there are also gems.
The secret is to do a little research before committing. Some of the more popular watches have buyers guides here on the forum, there's a photo data base as a guide, and if you can see the model number of a watch you like, do a forum search.
It's very easy for those of us who have a bit of knowledge to scoff at some of the really crappy watches offered at silly prices, but to a novice, some of these watches look legit.

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
How would you shill bid a Best Offer?
I don't get involved in those types of activities on eBay so I could not tell you why someone would but from all of the other shady activities that are normal behavior I would not be surprised if there was a good reason to do it.

·
Registered
6,771 Posts
Killsnapz you are right...sadly too many people are just not honest any more...so they do whatever they can to make maximum dollars...i am so thankful for all of you here on this site...i genuinely think we all have a great love for these amazing little pieces...and are more than willing to help each other...too bad more forums and sites did not follow our example...

·
Registered
6,771 Posts
well i was searching across the bay and see there is many people who seem to prey on those who do not know.....the truth is always best...no matter what..

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
Killsnapz you are right...sadly too many people are just not honest any more...so they do whatever they can to make maximum dollars...i am so thankful for all of you here on this site...i genuinely think we all have a great love for these amazing little pieces...and are more than willing to help each other...too bad more forums and sites did not follow our example...
That is exactly why when I am looking for higher priced watches I buy from members on the forum here instead of eBay. I know exactly what I am getting with no surprises. Just received another fantastic watch today from John that I had been looking for on eBay for a long time. This is one of the best forums of any topic that I have ever been a part of.

Michael

·
Registered
6,771 Posts
well i know i will not spend any real money on any watch outside this forum....i just found a watch i have really liked for a long time pop on the bay...after looking at all the pics and reading the description...i realized there was two very different watches shown...they might be the same model...but very obvious differences...band different...dial not the same..and ad says 100% original and untouched...do they not think we will see this?..i think the bay and craigslist and others are great resources for parts and such...but we should realize that when we go there...Well i know i am very thankful to you and all your help...Great people like you is why i am here...John

21 - 29 of 29 Posts