The Watch Site banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
These days I almost always find my best deals on Seiko watches from seller who sell a bit of everything and don't try to over describe the watch. It also has the added benefit that many people set their searches by a model number. Casual seller do not often put the model numbers in the tittle and said watch never gets picked up by the searches. It often takes downloaded bad photos and rotating them or using Photoshop to fix the photo so you can actually see what the watch is but its worth it.
There are some watch sellers out there on eBay that are asking fair prices for what they have and I tend to keep buying from these same sellers. There are several watch sellers on eBay that are so far out of whack with reality I actually have to laugh at them.

Like the seller who has a Seiko 4004 listed for $199 dollars and yes it is not functional and needs everything from a crystal to a lot of work on the case has no band and the dial is sideways in the case which most likely mean the dial pins are broken off.

·
Registered
6,772 Posts
well it always makes me smile to read some of the listings...they can get pretty creative...but it sure makes things hard to find too...

·
Registered
6,772 Posts
Hey that turtle suwa for 1700...they must really want to keep it...they need to look and see what things are worth before they list it...but hey to each his/her own...made me smile..

·
Ultimate Collector
3,329 Posts
He says it is all original.
We'll take a close look at the crown... That looks fake to me, but maybe not?
What do you think?

Otherwise it looks OK, but certainly not $1700!

·
Ultimate Collector
3,329 Posts
He says it is all original.
We'll take a close look at the crown... That looks fake to me, but maybe not?
What do you think?

Otherwise it looks OK, but certainly not $1700!
Since posting the above, I have looked further into 6105 crowns and I always thought original crowns would have groups of seven teeth, but it seems some have eight, and six are also known.

So this one is likely to be right.

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
Since posting the above, I have looked further into 6105 crowns and I always thought original crowns would have groups of seven teeth, but it seems some have eight, and six are also known.

What model 6105 is it? I have both part numbers 65W01NS1 (marked SEIKO) and 65W02NS1 (marked TURN with the arrow and has the locking groves) in my stash of new parts that are all in their original packaging so a comparison would be easy. I know mine are real.

Michael

·
Registered
1,630 Posts

The original NOS 65W02NS1 I have in my parts bin has 6 groves if it is the later locking type.

Looked at the listing and the crown is a correct 6 grove lock crown for sure at least. Best offer was accepted. Wonder what it was?

Michael

·
Registered
6,772 Posts
that watch looks like a few different parts..i was going to email them and let them know they are a bit off with the listing...but thought they might not appreciate the help..

·
Registered
6,772 Posts
really...wow

·
Registered
6,772 Posts
it is a shame when they get put back together not the right way

·
Registered
912 Posts
I was reading this post when it first came on, I thought I saw the ebay listing and thought it looked a pretty decent 6105. $1200, a high price but I didn't think it was completely nuts.
But I wasn't too sure I was looking at the same thing you guys were...that's the problem when you can't post links.

Anyway, this has just come on....I think it is probably the same!?

And I'm posting a link. Delete it if you feel it is not helpful...
http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&alt=web&id=191491976877

·
Registered
6,772 Posts
that is the same watch...must be it was returned and being resold

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
that is the same watch...must be it was returned and being resold

I would be willing to bet it was more likely a shill bid win. Then wait the appropriate week and relist it again. That's is the norm for expensive items sold auction style. All the benefits with none of the risks. Just like fishing. Dip your poll in the water with the bait waiting for the big one to bite. If a little fish latches on before the big fish you just dump the little fish off the hook with a higher shill bid and put you hook back in the water again and again until you find the big fish. eBay knows it accepts it and profits more off of it personally also. Since when would any real auction site let sellers who rack up 120 negative deals and another 100 or so neutral in a 12 month period and do nothing. Then also help these same sellers by removing all of their negative and neutral feedbacks that are over 12 months old forever and out of sight of the bidders.
I know of sellers who deal in high end items being banned from the big auction houses for a single infraction if it can be proven that the bad act was done purposefully.
If you have a seller who has been on eBay say fiver years then I guess you can figure they have most likely done at least 500 bad deals in five years and another 500 neutral and eBay is just happy with sellers like that on their auction site.
Ever since eBay has been managed by John Donahoe starting in 2008 it has started to slowly turn into one big crap hole and seems to get worse every year.

·
Registered
530 Posts
There's also a 6138 franken up right now with a 6138-7000 case, 8020 Gold Panda dial and 0030 Kakume hands going for about $550. Someone must really want those parts!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts