The Watch Site banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks, just finished my first Bellmatic today, only the third watch I have stripped, cleaned and re-built.
Bought as a complete non runner with a very poor quality dial, no strap and the case fairly battered. Managed to get the correct new dial in Ireland, put a new crystal on lots of sanding and polishing and apart from a couple of parts missing (case ring, 1 alarm ring clamp and the correct crown) it's all original. Now I need to find the correct bracelet for it. Does anyone have any info as to which bracelet should be fitted. From photo's, it looks to be an "oyster" type but can anyone point me in the right direction. Have ordered up a black leather strap meantime.

Attachments

·
Registered
182 Posts
Hi folks, just finished my first Bellmatic today, only the third watch I have stripped, cleaned and re-built.
Bought as a complete non runner with a very poor quality dial, no strap and the case fairly battered. Managed to get the correct new dial in Ireland, put a new crystal on lots of sanding and polishing and apart from a couple of parts missing (case ring, 1 alarm ring clamp and the correct crown) it's all original. Now I need to find the correct bracelet for it. Does anyone have any info as to which bracelet should be fitted. From photo's, it looks to be an "oyster" type but can anyone point me in the right direction. Have ordered up a black leather strap meantime.
That's nicely done and very inspiring! You don't have any prior watchmaking experience? How long did it take to do it?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi !van, hard to say how long, as the postage for parts is all over the place just now. Some parts came within a week, some parts within a month but basically 2 days to strip and clean, a week to sand and polish the case (all done by hand, no machines involved) and gave myself 3 days to re-build. Plus about 5 hours total hands and knees time. That's the time spent on my hands and knees with a magnet looking for screws on the floor LOL. Seriously lucky finding that new dial in Ireland.
For anyone who's interested, here's what I did to strip the watch and keep the parts in order. Used the 4006 manual 20200626_204605.jpg and bought a couple of pill boxes from the pound shop marked 1,2 etc. 20200626_204624.jpg

Everything from step 1 in the manual goes in box 1 and so on. After cleaning, assemble in reverse order.

·
Registered
25 Posts
great job @Archmill. i think you will find some brochures of the bell with its bracelets. I don't exactly remember but vaguely if i am not mistaken its a clad bracelet. Sorry I don't know what its called. But great job in refurbishing it!!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts