The Watch Site banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently bought a large lot of Seikos (about 80) in the pile there was something I had not seen or can find a lot of information about
It is the first solar/analogue 4826-9009. 1977 Anybody else have some of these? Thoughts? What is the original bracelet like?

Attachments

·
Registered
885 Posts
It is the first solar/analogue 4826-9009. 1977 Anybody else have some of these? Thoughts? What is the original bracelet like?
Mithra. Google is your friend. :p One of my forum members has one on the original bracelet:

I recently found (and bought) a 4826-9009 on ebay for what I consider a good price. It's non-JDM but excluding the face text, I think it's identical to the JDM version. It's on the original bracelet and it's in pretty good nick so I'm pleased to have it. The serial dates it to March 1977.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Recently bought a large lot of Seikos (about 80) in or can find a lot of information about
It is the first solar/analogue 4826-9009. 1977 Anybody else have some of these? Thoughts? What is the oQUOTE]

That's a nice watch, solar and accurate as hell i bet.

·
Premium Member
947 Posts
Sorry mahamithra , but if you google "first solar analog watch you will find its a Citizen Crystron from 1976 (your watch is still bloody nice, and very collectable)
The first version of a solar watch was produced by inventor Roger Riehl in March 1968, a prototype followed in 1970 and a full production version called the ‘Synchronar‘ was released in 1972.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
3,016 Posts
Good score! The rechargeable battery is long discontinued, but you can install a standard silver oxide cell, just make sure you disconnect the connection with the solar panel so it doesn’t try to recharge the standard cell which can lead to dangerous conditions.
I have a -9000 JDM example, the bracelet is stamped “XQB 420” on the end piece. You don’t remove links to size, but rather unclamp and slide the clasp up and down the links segment.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,173 Posts
Well the first question that pops into my head is where does one find a lot of around 80 Seiko's for a reasonable price?!!

Great score by the way :)

·
Registered
64 Posts
Good score! The rechargeable battery is long discontinued, but you can install a standard silver oxide cell, just make sure you disconnect the connection with the solar panel so it doesn’t try to recharge the standard cell which can lead to dangerous conditions.
I have a -9000 JDM example, the bracelet is stamped “XQB 420” on the end piece. You don’t remove links to size, but rather unclamp and slide the clasp up and down the links segment.
@rileynp sorry but I am not very good at tinkering with watches, I usually leave it to the experts - BUT, I have a couple of questions for you on this (6 mo old I know) post.

1. What is the correct battery to install
2. How do I do as you suggest and disconnect the connection with the solar panel?

Thanks ahead of time,

JR

·
Super Moderator
3,016 Posts
@rileynp sorry but I am not very good at tinkering with watches, I usually leave it to the experts - BUT, I have a couple of questions for you on this (6 mo old I know) post.

1. What is the correct battery to install
2. How do I do as you suggest and disconnect the connection with the solar panel?

Thanks ahead of time,

JR
Hi JR,
This movement isn’t designed to be handled by those without prior experience, which is also true of most other quartz movements. One uncalculated or errant move and you can destroy hard to replace components. So best to leave this to your local watchmaker. You can help them out by telling them a 386 will fit, and they should disconnect and insulate the connection between the solar panel lead and the circuit board- they will be able to figure that out fairly easily as a trained watchmaker.

·
Registered
64 Posts
@rileynp thanks for being honest, my experience is limited but my love of these watches is longstanding & wouldn't want to damage the one I have. Thankfully I have a great local watch man, I will be sure to relay those instructions to him.

Much appreciated.

JR

1 - 9 of 9 Posts