The Watch Site banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Special Member
1,818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In 1983 Seiko released the DATA-2000. I purchased this up a while ago but until recently I did not have a battery for it. The watch takes a BR2325 that I did not have on hand but I managed to pick one up off the shelf while in Japan recently.

The watch has a display with the date, time and full text day.

There is also an alarm function.

and a stopwatch with split time display.

There is also a full functional calculator.

This watch has two memory slots (A & B) that each store 1000 characters.

The screen displays four lines of 10 characters and these can scroll for 100 lines of information. To enter text there is a separate keyboard unit. The keyboard on my example is in good condition with the original plastic cover still in place.

The watch interfaces to the keyboard by placing it into an indent on the side. The watch has a large coil inside and the keyboard uses induction to communicate.

The watch came with the original packaging, manuals, tag and warranty card.

In the early 80’s most people did not have personal computers so this watch would have been extremely impressive and very futuristic when it was released.

I am not sure how successful this model was but it did lead to a number of similar models with increased capabilities like connection to a computer to allow easier data input.

This is not a series of watches that I see much about on this forum but it does hold an interesting place in the history of watches and the trend to make them more than just basic time pieces.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Very nice !! I still have the RC1000, its predecessor. The casing, however, needs replacement.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,371 Posts
Super cool watch :) Although the RC-1000 is cooler because of the link to the computer and the software you can run on your PC, Mac, ZX86, Atari etc to set the watch :)

·
Special Member
1,818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Very nice !! I still have the RC1000, its predecessor. The casing, however, needs replacement.
Nice RC-1000 you do not see many of these around. This was actually released in 1984 a year after the DATA-2000.

The predecessor would be the D409 based models that appeared just before the UW01.

The link to pocketcalculatorshow that Slonie linked to gives a good rundown on the various Seiko models that were released in this family.

Do you have the connecting cable and software for the RC-1000?

·
Registered
397 Posts
Unpossible! Obviously a photoshop job as Apple only invented the smart watch yesterday! In fact, I'm not even sure what I've been wearing all these years is really a watch, since Apple just invented the term "watch" yesterday as well. Actually, Apple invented time.

;)

Really cool Seiko. Just one more reason why I like them.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Nice RC-1000 you do not see many of these around. This was actually released in 1984 a year after the DATA-2000.

The predecessor would be the D409 based models that appeared just before the UW01.

The link to pocketcalculatorshow that Slonie linked to gives a good rundown on the various Seiko models that were released in this family.

Do you have the connecting cable and software for the RC-1000?

I have the cable, software is not a big problem I think. The casing, yes, I want one !

·
Registered
8 Posts
Thanks for sharing!! I love that Seiko has played in the wrist computer/smart watch market while also creating high end mechanical pieces like Grand Seiko.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have 2 Seiko RC-1000 with the Software for a Commodore 64. I'm searching the IBM PC Software, maybe someone can help?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts