The Watch Site banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was inspired by Mike's excellent 6139 service guide, so I picked up a couple of chronos including this 6138. It was a late night spur of the moment purchase, cheap, but luckily turned out to be a viable project.

Cleaning and servicing the movement did take quite a while but wasn't impossible as it wasn't significantly worn or damaged, but the auto winding mech was missing. I am indebted to Tom who deserves special thanks for donating the missing parts - Cheers mate, much appreciated. Adjusting the minute register took some time but armed with Mike's doc and the Seiko repair addendum I eventually got it.

One of the chrono hands was missing, I got a NOS one from Stefan but it was slightly too long. After a lot of pondering I cleaved the end off with a specially sharpened chisel. I then repainted the chrono hands, the second hand and fixed the lume on the other hands.

The rest of the shopping list: a new day wheel and a full set of NOS gaskets from Stefan, a crystal from Jonathan, dial, bezel insert and end-links from Seikosis.

I bought a scrap 6139-7080 for its original Stelux bracelet. It took several hours work on the end-links to get it mounted on the 6138, but I really like it.

I'm not completely happy with the bezel insert, 'TACHYMETER' is the wrong colour. I bought a couple of other AM alternatives, but they were pretty cheap and nasty. If anybody has a used OEM insert in good condition available please let me know.

(as purchased)

Ta Da!

Cheers, Sam.

·
Registered
5,973 Posts
Sam, that's a really nice result. It takes guts to tackle 6138/9's for the first time but more people should give them a try. Look at what's achievable.:93:

BTW: aftermarket dials are coming on in quality. I think I bought a tachymeter insert from mountapo_merchant that did not have the 'tachymeter' text in yellow. On a positive note it does match the yellow hands.

·
Registered
6,387 Posts
that is incredible...great find...always loved the chrono's

·
Registered
912 Posts
Ah ha! Here it is, well done Sam.
Thanking tiger for the auto wind, not me. Johns generosity makes me look like a right scrouge. But pleased to pass part of a long to help another!

What's next Sam?!

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Next is a 6105.... or "£400 for a broken watch? Are you mad?" as my wife called it. Since I'd paid for it with the proceeds of clearing out the garage, I got away with it....just.

Ah ha! Here it is, well done Sam.
Thanking tiger for the auto wind, not me. Johns generosity makes me look like a right scrouge. But pleased to pass part of a long to help another!

What's next Sam?!

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Sam, that's a really nice result. It takes guts to tackle 6138/9's for the first time but more people should give them a try. Look at what's achievable.:93:

BTW: aftermarket dials are coming on in quality. I think I bought a tachymeter insert from mountapo_merchant that did not have the 'tachymeter' text in yellow. On a positive note it does match the yellow hands.
In my LIMITED experience, my 7015s gave me more trouble than my 6139, mostly due to the 6139's more modular design. I do enjoy both movements though, and would like to get to know some of the other movements better. I'd really like a 7016, but they're not too common. I'm sure the 6138 adds some challenges with the extra complication.

A 6138 is on my bucket list, and this is my preferred model due to the dial and hands. It's been said many times before that Seiko really knows how to do blue dials.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts