The Watch Site banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've said before that I never understood the appeal of the 6139-600x watches -- until I wore one. Now I have three. I said the same about the 6309-704x, but I figured I'd piece together a 6309-7040 from parts to see what all the fuss was about. The project never really took off because individual parts were way too expensive, I had my sights set on other projects, or I simply couldn't justify spending the money. I eventually put something together using an AM dial, questionable bezel insert, day/date wheels that wouldn't line up due to missing movement parts. It really was a mess, but it worked (and continues to do so), keeping excellent time.

I immediately understood the appeal, but I told myself I wouldn't even bother with a 6309 until I found the exact one I wanted. It didn't need to be flawless, it just needed to have a great dial with some nice aging on the lume. It also needed to be a 1977 because I prefer the Suwa dials and that's my birth year. With so much 6309 junk out there, the search dragged on for months, eventually just becoming a saved eBay search I rarely checked. I focused my attention on 6139s and hadn't given much thought to the 6309 until I saw one listed on my Instagram feed -- a 1977 model. Imagine my surprise when I found out it's not only a birth year watch, but birth year AND month. I usually go back and forth about most watch purchases, but not this time. And boy, am I glad I didn't hesitate.

I'm still deciding on the right course of action for this one. I'm pretty sure I'll just use the hands in the first one (which I previously refinished), and maybe search for a better bezel insert. Either way, this one is a keeper.

·
Registered
4,399 Posts
Congrats on your birth year (and month) 6309 :clap:

I could easily live with a 6309 full of wabi, as long as it comes in all original condition. Give it some cleaning and perhaps a movement service if needed and enjoy it for what it is.... there's always a better 6309 out there so I'm sure this won't be your last one ;)

·
Administrator
30,123 Posts
£ for £ i think the 6309 takes a lot of beating, great as is, great for modding, great as a beater, water proof, plenty of spares available, cumfy to wear, it has it all if your that way inclined (I am) :)

Enjoy it in what ever format you decide to make it.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Love it how it is... been wearing mine for last four days - believe me that's unusual :) and it's hardly missed a beat, been comfortable all day on an oyster bracelet enough old lume to still be visible in the early hours... just great watches.

Oh, and Mick Jagger once wore one so it is timelessly cool in my book.

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It'll definitely be a frequent wearer for me. It's easy to see why it's so highly regarded! There's not much life in the lume, but that vintage color on the indices is so difficult to replicate, and even if you do, it's never quite as charming.

One other question. When I opened the case, it took more torque than I can ever remember using on my other watches. Once it was open, I was amazed by how pristine it looked, and by the lack of any markings inside the caseback. Would casebacks be that tight from the factory? It definitely looks like someone tried to open it at some point, but it was truly so snug that I wouldn't be surprised if they gave up.

Sent by carrier pigeon.

·
Administrator
30,123 Posts
It'll definitely be a frequent wearer for me. It's easy to see why it's so highly regarded! There's not much life in the lume, but that vintage color on the indices is so difficult to replicate, and even if you do, it's never quite as charming.

One other question. When I opened the case, it took more torque than I can ever remember using on my other watches. Once it was open, I was amazed by how pristine it looked, and by the lack of any markings inside the caseback. Would casebacks be that tight from the factory? It definitely looks like someone tried to open it at some point, but it was truly so snug that I wouldn't be surprised if they gave up.

Sent by carrier pigeon.
I have had some VERY tight ones in the past, factory or what i dont know but thinking about it for some reason the tightest ones i have had have come from the States (strange).

·
Registered
6,211 Posts
I only have the 6308- in 2 different dress/sport watches. Great movements. My latest came to me about +5 sec/day and I have yet to work on it. I plan to mini-mod it and will post my results.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts