The Watch Site banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does such a thing exist? I want to use a small bench polisher to work on a few cases/straps and if I could mask areas off it would be much easier!

I am UK based. Thanks in anticipation...

·
Registered
5,973 Posts
I have been using 3M Scotch magic tape to mask off brushed areas from polished areas on straps with success, you will have to be careful not to polish through the masking tape but it is possible with care. I use a hand held dremel type polisher with small mops that has better precision than a bench polishing mob.

·
Registered
5,973 Posts
Also worth pointing out I am in the process of making a lapping machine for case refinishing and should soon be able to offer a service, at a small cost I need to do some practicing first and wait for my broken foot to go down to a normal size before I can stand on it long enough to get back to finishing the machine but watch this space!

It will be interesting to see the results, hehehe, bigfoot Tone:57:

BTW: I have not seen a CBX550 for ages, I rode mine into the ground and sold it for £25, yep it was quite good when I got it but 80K miles was too much for it.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I have been using self adhesive aluminium tape that we use on aircraft to smooth gaps out on fairing panels,super sticky and can be cut to exact shapes.Works fine with plastic and brass wire polishers but steel requires a light touch,can leave a glue residue though but wipes away with acetone,PM me with your address and I will send you a foot of it

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the tips guys. Am I going mad or was there a lengthy reply detailing rpm speeds? I'm on my phone so not the ideal browsing experience!

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
There is a special tape for this purpose, but you can probably improvise as suggested above.

Myles

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Sorry I wrote the long winded bit about polishing but only meant to delete one sentence and managed to delete the who post!

What I said was (short version)

To get the best finish as in superb you need:

a. 2800rpm motor not 1400rpm. I brought my motor for £10 off the http://www.homeworkshop.org.uk/ website where folk sell their secondhand tools in the UK (great website)!

b. Use either yellow or white polishing compount and a 'swan down' loose mop (not stitched).

c. Stuff a nice thick bit of polystyrene behind the mop in case the work gets pulled from your hands! Like in my workshops dirty corner here -------->

(nicely spotted CBX550 Mike!)

I use these people for all my polishing equipement: http://www.thepolishingshop.co.uk/index.html

I use these polishes for super shiny finish:
Menzerna P175 Yellow Super Finish
Menzerna M5 Super Finishing.

I use these mops(WDR or Swansdown): http://www.thepolishingshop.co.uk/acatalog/WDR_Loose_Mops.html

I also said the ally tape was a good idea and you can get rolls of it cheap from B&Q and also Wicks as it's used to stick insulating wall mats together! A large roll will cost about £5.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Also worth pointing out I am in the process of making a lapping machine for case refinishing and should soon be able to offer a service, at a small cost I need to do some practicing first and wait for my broken foot to go down to a normal size before I can stand on it long enough to get back to finishing the machine but watch this space!

It will be interesting to see the results, hehehe, bigfoot Tone:57:

BTW: I have not seen a CBX550 for ages, I rode mine into the ground and sold it for £25, yep it was quite good when I got it but 80K miles was too much for it.
Any updates on this? I'm actually working on a similar project here in the US (begun well before I saw your post here, I must add), with some small success. Not really doing it as a commercial venture, more for my own amusement cleaning up junkers from the bay. I had the design worked out in my head so I had to go on and put it together to see if it would work. I can't post photos yet though, not enough post count. My setup is pretty well completed, but I'd love to see how you're going about it. Seeing the geometric brushed surfaces emerge from a beat up old case is a lot of fun and it's easy to get carried away!

Steve

1 - 13 of 13 Posts