The Watch Site banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Special Member
1,348 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As we bring close to the year, I thought it might be nice to spend some time reviewing some of our favorite mods from 2016.

A chance to share our triumphs, our battles, our victories and struggles.

As a fairly new member to the forum with 2016 being my first full calendar year, I tried to really get involved; encouraging others as well as posting mods of my own.

For myself, the forum has been as much about building relationships as it has been about building watches and I've made some great friends here this past year and hope this will continue in the years to come.

In my early days, I was somewhat of a purist, but as time went by, I changed my views to include tasteful mods and homage pieces and now consider myself to be firmly planted in the modding community.

And while the purists and true collectors are the base of the forum, it's the modders who bring new life along with new interest and bring added value to the hobby we all love so much.

As I consider this past year, I've seen so many nice builds come from this forum; all well thought out watches in a variety of styles, according to each builder's personal likes.

This thread is an opportunity for us to post some of our favorites from this year. Take some time to consider which mods you liked best and what you liked about them and how they inspired you.

If you're a regular on another forum, and haven't posted here, take this opportunity to make this your first post.

I'll revisit this thread over the coming weeks and check back to see what you came up with.

For now, here is one of my favorites from 2016...

Mike

Attachments

·
Special Member
1,348 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Most creative mod of 2016

I liked this one by SeikoPsycho2

The motorist revisited.

Very creative and original mod. Nicely done and an inspiration for others!!

Mike

Attachments

·
Registered
48 Posts
Not to toot my own horn, but I was delightfully surprised how well the Stargate innards worked with the slotted monster ring and how this turned out as an overall composition. Not having great parts resources, I actuality dismantled a perfectly good Stargate 2 for the parts.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

·
Special Member
1,348 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Really like that one Ray. Just the right touch with the hands matching the stripe on the Nato.
Nicely done!

Mike

·
Special Member
1,348 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Best un-modded mod of 2016

Here's another favorite by OutaTime.

As is common to the hobby, we modders often continue to mod a watch to get it just right, only to put it right back to where we started.

Great job on this one Lane! Always love the monster look!

Mike

Attachments

·
Registered
453 Posts
Great idea, Mike! Hard to narrow it down to just one, though, as "favorite mod" is a bit like asking which child you love the most. They all have something to love. Haha. A few that come to mind are

(disclaimer/clarification: I didn't put any of these together)

The modern SKX

The black bay homage with bronze shroud

This one (couldn't find the post but luckily I'd saved a pic at the time because I liked it so much)

And of course the ever popular bluefin

Also have to give a shout out to the tst collective. Too much good stuff there to list it all: http://www.thewatchsite.com/21-japanese-watch-discussion-forum/95402-tst-collective-collection-date-16.html

That SKX-monster Frankenstein only stayed that way for about 24 hours. I've since replaced the dial, which got a little scratched in the process, and put it on a Sawtooth strap (perhaps my favorite 20mm strap). My first ever Seiko automatic diver and still one of my favorites.

Oh, by the way Mike, I also know of at least one more that would make this list, if you unveil it by year's end ...

·
Special Member
1,348 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
All great mods Lane!

Definitely agree with you on how tough it would be to pick just one. With all the time we put into each build; from concept and planning, to development and then finally the actual build, a mod can take months to complete.

Some of mine certainly have...but that's all part of the process that makes modding so rewarding.

2016 isn't quite over yet so there may still be a few more tricks up my sleeve..time will tell.

Mike

·
Registered
3,587 Posts
I also have a hard time picking just one Mike. The motorist revisited is one of my favorites but I also have several others that have caught my fancy.

Old Glory

Blue Bubble

Rally

·
Special Member
1,348 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Those are all fantastic mods. Old Glory is particularly nice!

All very inspiring and they help to show others what can be done with subtle changes to make each watch unique and more exciting to wear.

Mike

·
Registered
437 Posts
Twelve months ago I had no idea whatsoever that this modding thing existed. It has to be one of the most discreet art forms out there. As a relative outsider, it is fascinating to see the results. I can only appreciate them at a certain level,I can see a nice arrangement of features, but I am aware that there is another level of, for example, quotation and reference. Might sound arty farty but it's true.

·
Registered
3,587 Posts
Those are all fantastic mods. Old Glory is particularly nice!

All very inspiring and they help to show others what can be done with subtle changes to make each watch unique and more exciting to wear.

Mike
Thanks Mike! Modding for me works best when I can use original Seiko parts from other watches as with Old Glory.

I have a few more projects in mind if only my budget would cooperate....lol

·
Registered
6,173 Posts
hey has anyone used a marine master 300 dial and hands in anything?...the sbdx001?...i am trying a few mods and really thinking about that mod....once i get my other mod in progress done...i will post it here...i am sure no one has my current mod yet...

·
Registered
312 Posts
Not to toot my own horn, but I was delightfully surprised how well the Stargate innards worked with the slotted monster ring and how this turned out as an overall composition. Not having great parts resources, I actuality dismantled a perfectly good Stargate 2 for the parts.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk
That is really nice. Couldn't have picked a better strap to compliment the watch.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts