The Watch Site banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Slightly off topic, and ever evolving since our smart phones are taking better and better pictures. What do you like for your wrist shots? how about for landscapes or street shooting (with our nice vintage seikos conveniently placed in the foreground of course!). What cameras and set ups do you use? I've been using my trusty leica D lux 4 for watch shots (the macro and indoor-low light shooting is great). I'm looking to fire up a new fujifilm x100t.

Lastly, if you have any nice light boxes you use for photographing your cameras, please explain your set up.

Sorry for a such a gear head post.
Please post many pics of your loadouts and the pics!!!

·
Krusty Olde Pharte
4,744 Posts
The only camera I have is a P&S Canon Power Shot A1200. The flash is disabled, but otherwise it's set on auto. I use it like that for all my shots, indoors and out. Now you know why my pix are so funky....

·
Registered
2,665 Posts
For the past year and a half I've been using my iPhone 5 as a replacement for a couple of Sony point and shoot cameras that I have. I use Photoshop to resize or crop before uploading them to Photobucket. It may take me a few shots before I get something that I like.

·
Registered
249 Posts
The Apple I-phone 6 takes some pretty incredible pictures...

·
Registered
3,923 Posts
For the past year and a half I've been using my iPhone 5 as a replacement for a couple of Sony point and shoot cameras that I have. I use Photoshop to resize or crop before uploading them to Photobucket. It may take me a few shots before I get something that I like.

cbrmike-
Beautiful shots Mike, it makes total sense to take multiple shots to get what you like and has been professional practice for many years especially in challenging situations where activity or lighting is an issue. The action is called "bracketing" and is often performed on cameras with variable shutter speeds and aperture settings. One shot is taken with a shutter speed/aperture combo based on light meter reading then two more shots, one on either side of that combo using a faster and slower shutter speed or aperture setting. There is a good chance that one of the 3 shots will be what you want. It can take extra time but its better than missing an important shot all together. For the most part, pictures on this board are quite beautiful. Jim

·
Registered
88 Posts
On my Samsung Galaxy S4 phone there is no macro mode so you have to trick the camera by using the optical reader app which produces excellent results but requires a steady hand and has no tap to focus feature.

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
I only use my Canon PowewShot SD960 IS ELPH. For a tiny little bugger this little camera does everything from stills to HD video. I don't make to much fuss about shooting the perfect picture. I just snap them off, plug the camera into the desktop and upload them. Then I pick the ones I like out and delete the rest. Then run them through Photoshop which with one click will autocorrect any small flaws in the picture and then crop them. I must say I love this method as I can get some amazing results with little effort. I have an iPhone and I hate just about everything about it including the camera and the way you have transfer them to your PC. I can't wait until December when I can upgrade to the Samsung Galaxy with the 15 mp camera and it is Windows 8 compatible which will mean plug and play. I'm pretty sure the poor little Canon ELPH will be banished to the nightstand drawer once I get the new Samsung.

Michael

·
Registered
249 Posts
I only use my Canon PowewShot SD960 IS ELPH. For a tiny little bugger this little camera does everything from stills to HD video. I don't make to much fuss about shooting the perfect picture. I just snap them off, plug the camera into the desktop and upload them. Then I pick the ones I like out and delete the rest. Then run them through Photoshop which with one click will autocorrect any small flaws in the picture and then crop them. I must say I love this method as I can get some amazing results with little effort. I have an iPhone and I hate just about everything about it including the camera and the way you have transfer them to your PC. I can't wait until December when I can upgrade to the Samsung Galaxy with the 15 mp camera and it is Windows 8 compatible which will mean plug and play. I'm pretty sure the poor little Canon ELPH will be banished to the nightstand drawer once I get the new Samsung.
What is the difference with what you do with the Canon and your iPhone?

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
I use my Sony Xperia Z unless I really feel like pulling out my Canon SL1. The Canon takes some incredible pics, but the phone is just so convenient.

From there I use Gimp. It is quite capable, especially once you get familiar with it. Photoshop is obviously quite capable, but also totally unnecessary when that money could go toward some nice Seikos!

·
Registered
7,353 Posts
Nikon coolpix L310 bridge camera, bought cheap in a sale:grin: not a high end camera by any stretch of the imagination but it does ok

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
What is the difference with what you do with the Canon and your iPhone?
You can not just plug an iPhone into a PC and swipe the photographs of it. The Canon camera or the Samsung phone when plugged into a USB port is immediately recognized as a device. You just click on it and grab the pictures and drag them over to your PC or you can even set them up so as soon as they are plugged into a PC the automatic upload all of the pictures to a pre determined file. Another thing the iPhone can not do. Can't wait to toss the iPhone in the trash!

Michael

·
Registered
4,991 Posts
Hi, Samsung WB 500+ Photobucket + not a lot of skill....:rolleyes:...Bob.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts