The Watch Site banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, all! New to the forum and very much looking forward to learning (a lot) and contributing (a little). In the feel-good category, let me briefly share what brought me here. I'm not a collector-- just someone who had a 1980s diver (a Quartz 7548-7000, I now realize). I was a teen and a scuba diver back then, and my dad bought it for me as a gift. It was my first real watch, and I put it to great use below and above the waves. I loved it. Then, sometime in the mid-90s, it was stolen---I don't know precisely how or when, but it went missing from my apartment. I was despondent, but what to do.

Fast forward to now, when I have my own teenage son. He recently expressed interest in getting a watch-- imagine that, in the smartphone age! Of course it got me reminiscing, and I decided to do what I wished I could have done at the time-- replace that watch! So it was time for some research. What reference was it? Did I want an exact replacement, or a different reference? The hunt brought back great memories as I strained to recall the details of that gift watch. In the end, I chose to replace it with a reference from the era it went missing-- a 7002-7039 "transitional" diver. The decision was easy-- one of those few times when you're immediately drawn to one choice among many. No sooner had I decided than a beautiful, original example appeared for sale at a good price on one of the (non-Ebay) sites. Original owner, worn only a few times as the case size proved too big for his wrist. Pristine condition, though box/papers long gone. I jumped.

It arrived a week later, and guess what? Not only was it gleaming, the seller had found the box/papers and surprised me with them! A second gift watch.

So when did this become all about me instead of my son, who sparked everything? Well, that part of the story is still unfolding. After more research, I've decided to gift my son a companion to my new-to-me watch-- a 33mm 4205 diver in black (he has very small wrists). Alas, a nice example has proved more difficult to find, so the search is ongoing--- let me know if you have any leads! Thanks for reading if you've gotten this far, and I hope you enjoy these pics of my transitional.

Watch Analog watch Clock Watch accessory Font

Watch Analog watch Clock Font Material property

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the welcomes, everyone. And thanks for the info, vincentg-- quite a collection you have going! Disappointing to hear of your experience with the 4205. I homed in on it for two reasons, really. First, it echoes the dial design of my 7002, which would add to the father-son connection. Second, from what I could tell it's the only automatic reference made at 33mm (other than the earlier 2205). Personally, I think a midsize (37/38) would be okay, but I think my son would prefer smaller. Hopefully folks will let me know if I'm overlooking something!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, time to finish the story. After more research, I decided that a 4205-015 (mid-size) was the way to go, rather than the 014. And now that it's arrived, I'm really glad I made that choice because it's the perfect size for my son. While more plentiful, most 015s seem to be in the same rough or restored/AM shape as most 014s. But after some hunting, I was lucky to come across a near-NOS example from 1984-- in box with caseback sticker never removed. Special thanks to vincentg for fielding questions about various examples along the way---I learned a lot! Here's the new arrival, followed by the father-son pairing!

Watch Analog watch Rectangle Clock Watch accessory

Watch Analog watch White Watch accessory Clock

1 - 3 of 3 Posts