The Watch Site banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, all! New to the forum and very much looking forward to learning (a lot) and contributing (a little). In the feel-good category, let me briefly share what brought me here. I'm not a collector-- just someone who had a 1980s diver (a Quartz 7548-7000, I now realize). I was a teen and a scuba diver back then, and my dad bought it for me as a gift. It was my first real watch, and I put it to great use below and above the waves. I loved it. Then, sometime in the mid-90s, it was stolen---I don't know precisely how or when, but it went missing from my apartment. I was despondent, but what to do.

Fast forward to now, when I have my own teenage son. He recently expressed interest in getting a watch-- imagine that, in the smartphone age! Of course it got me reminiscing, and I decided to do what I wished I could have done at the time-- replace that watch! So it was time for some research. What reference was it? Did I want an exact replacement, or a different reference? The hunt brought back great memories as I strained to recall the details of that gift watch. In the end, I chose to replace it with a reference from the era it went missing-- a 7002-7039 "transitional" diver. The decision was easy-- one of those few times when you're immediately drawn to one choice among many. No sooner had I decided than a beautiful, original example appeared for sale at a good price on one of the (non-Ebay) sites. Original owner, worn only a few times as the case size proved too big for his wrist. Pristine condition, though box/papers long gone. I jumped.

It arrived a week later, and guess what? Not only was it gleaming, the seller had found the box/papers and surprised me with them! A second gift watch.

So when did this become all about me instead of my son, who sparked everything? Well, that part of the story is still unfolding. After more research, I've decided to gift my son a companion to my new-to-me watch-- a 33mm 4205 diver in black (he has very small wrists). Alas, a nice example has proved more difficult to find, so the search is ongoing--- let me know if you have any leads! Thanks for reading if you've gotten this far, and I hope you enjoy these pics of my transitional.

Watch Analog watch Clock Watch accessory Font

Watch Analog watch Clock Font Material property

·
Special Member
5,643 Posts
Hi, all! New to the forum and very much looking forward to learning (a lot) and contributing (a little). In the feel-good category, let me briefly share what brought me here. I'm not a collector-- just someone who had a 1980s diver (a Quartz 7548-7000, I now realize). I was a teen and a scuba diver back then, and my dad bought it for me as a gift. It was my first real watch, and I put it to great use below and above the waves. I loved it. Then, sometime in the mid-90s, it was stolen---I don't know precisely how or when, but it went missing from my apartment. I was despondent, but what to do.

Fast forward to now, when I have my own teenage son. He recently expressed interest in getting a watch-- imagine that, in the smartphone age! Of course it got me reminiscing, and I decided to do what I wished I could have done at the time-- replace that watch! So it was time for some research. What reference was it? Did I want an exact replacement, or a different reference? The hunt brought back great memories as I strained to recall the details of that gift watch. In the end, I chose to replace it with a reference from the era it went missing-- a 7002-7039 "transitional" diver. The decision was easy-- one of those few times when you're immediately drawn to one choice among many. No sooner had I decided than a beautiful, original example appeared for sale at a good price on one of the (non-Ebay) sites. Original owner, worn only a few times as the case size proved too big for his wrist. Pristine condition, though box/papers long gone. I jumped.

It arrived a week later, and guess what? Not only was it gleaming, the seller had found the box/papers and surprised me with them! A second gift watch.

So when did this become all about me instead of my son, who sparked everything? Well, that part of the story is still unfolding. After more research, I've decided to gift my son a companion to my new-to-me watch-- a 33mm 4205 diver in black (he has very small wrists). Alas, a nice example has proved more difficult to find, so the search is ongoing--- let me know if you have any leads! Thanks for reading if you've gotten this far, and I hope you enjoy these pics of my transitional.

View attachment 490885

View attachment 490886
Great story and you’re definitely winning, thanks for sharing!
I have a Pepsi version.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Special Member
1,470 Posts
Great story and welcome to the site. Nice purchase on the 7002, that is a sleeper buy still today and full kit is even better! I also bought a 4205 for my younger son but the watch has "issues" and parts are difficult to obtain and the movement is not as robust as many others. I just kept it as a "type coin" in my collection, it has an AM bezel insert and hands I think. If you are looking for vintage, an SKX013 would be a better choice these days, or if it is in your budget a perpetual SBCM that is slightly smaller and just as robust. There is also a new solar/quartz midsize diver this is a pic of the PADI version and the new Land Tortoise is also a really nice midsize case, one on amazo is only $299 which is a nice price, they are not divers, bi-directional bezel but they are screw crown and back and rated to 200m. I have two sons who both enjoy watches, my younger son is WIS, and it has given me a way to buy watches I like but would never wear :) The pic is of my 4205 with an SKX009 on one side and an SKX013 on the other, if you look at just parts availability alone the 013 wins hands down, not even counting all of the mod parts available. The 4205 and the 013 are both 38mm dia the lug to lug is 44.5mm on the 013 and 42mm on the 4205, so it is only ever so slightly smaller, the SBCM is 37mm dia and will set you back $5-600ish, the Land Tortoise is 39.4mm and the new solar mid size divers are 38mm, so basically all the same size of watch. I am going to add one more in the midsized Seiko Sub SKX at 37mm screw down crown at 3, the pic is of a J version, it is between my SRP Turtle and my Sumo on the black nato in the group pic.
Watch Analog watch Clock Watch accessory Material property
Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Clock Jewellery
Watch Analog watch White Light Product

Watch Analog watch White Light Black

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the welcomes, everyone. And thanks for the info, vincentg-- quite a collection you have going! Disappointing to hear of your experience with the 4205. I homed in on it for two reasons, really. First, it echoes the dial design of my 7002, which would add to the father-son connection. Second, from what I could tell it's the only automatic reference made at 33mm (other than the earlier 2205). Personally, I think a midsize (37/38) would be okay, but I think my son would prefer smaller. Hopefully folks will let me know if I'm overlooking something!

·
Special Member
1,470 Posts
Mine is a 4205-015K 38mm the ladies 33mm is a 4205-014x and I wasn't even thinking of that :) A member here who is a master watchmaker did a very nice thread on a 2205-076x he serviced for his daughter; it made me want to buy one :) Any of the 33mm ladies divers fetch decent $$ if in good shape, far more than a midsize 38mm would I think. If you did buy him a 38mm it could never be called a ladies watch and may well serve him his whole life. I have all of the parts to refurb my 013, new movement, gaskets, crystal and a new oem bracelet, plus I have full kit for it too. It will be my younger sons Christmas present this year :) He will be 24yo this year and his sweet spot for size is 38mm. I gave him my Tudor Jumbo Oysterdate which is 38mm when he graduated from University of Florida last year, here is a pic of him wearing it at work in his office the other day;
I forgot the link;
Watch Analog watch Mouse Gesture Clock

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, time to finish the story. After more research, I decided that a 4205-015 (mid-size) was the way to go, rather than the 014. And now that it's arrived, I'm really glad I made that choice because it's the perfect size for my son. While more plentiful, most 015s seem to be in the same rough or restored/AM shape as most 014s. But after some hunting, I was lucky to come across a near-NOS example from 1984-- in box with caseback sticker never removed. Special thanks to vincentg for fielding questions about various examples along the way---I learned a lot! Here's the new arrival, followed by the father-son pairing!

Watch Analog watch Rectangle Clock Watch accessory

Watch Analog watch White Watch accessory Clock

1 - 10 of 10 Posts