The Watch Site banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Special Member
2,689 Posts
Total Turd

Lots of tells on the Fake Sunrise Dials. I've never seen one of the Fake Sunrises in person but I would imagine the Dial is a Dull Lifeless Bland Blue. A Real Sunrise Dial is a Fascinating Light Show :)

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
I was tracking it to see. It’s scary that there is not full disclosure in these adds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
159 Posts
I've never paid attention to the chronographs, so please forgive the question - is a seller like this not disclosing a restoration or is he/she turning a lesser watch into something "rare"? Thanks.

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
I've never paid attention to the chronographs, so please forgive the question - is a seller like this not disclosing a restoration or is he/she turning a lesser watch into something "rare"? Thanks.
The seller’s ad was deliberately deceptive (it’s a pretend 6139 Sunrise) while he tried to hedge the legalities of his description, which was mostly babble, by using the disclaimer:

BEFORE MAKING OFFERS PLEASE OBSERVE THE ITEM - THE PHOTOS HIDE NOTHING - IF YOU ARE NOT SURE OF WHAT YOU BUY, BEFORE INFORMED YOU ON INTERNET , THEN IF YOU WANT TO ASK QUESTIONS, AND, IF YOU ARE SURE, BUY - AVOID ASKING QUESTIONS AFTER RECEIVING THE WATCH - AKTM -THANK YOU !!

The ad is full of fertilizer because he knows it’s a franken Watch and he’s trying to get as much for it as possible by not being honest in his description. The amount that it sold for suggests that more than one person was fooled.

Reactions: SennieG

·
Registered
137 Posts
With a username of "doctorseiko" since 10/2019 can we assume that the watch cobbler was the seller? Another flag IMO is the offered 10% discount for PP F&F or bank wire.

·
Registered
159 Posts
The seller’s ad was deliberately deceptive (it’s a pretend 6139 Sunrise) while he tried to hedge the legalities of his description, which was mostly babble, by using the disclaimer:

BEFORE MAKING OFFERS PLEASE OBSERVE THE ITEM - THE PHOTOS HIDE NOTHING - IF YOU ARE NOT SURE OF WHAT YOU BUY, BEFORE INFORMED YOU ON INTERNET , THEN IF YOU WANT TO ASK QUESTIONS, AND, IF YOU ARE SURE, BUY - AVOID ASKING QUESTIONS AFTER RECEIVING THE WATCH - AKTM -THANK YOU !!

The ad is full of fertilizer because he knows it’s a franken Watch and he’s trying to get as much for it as possible by not being honest in his description. The amount that it sold for suggests that more than one person was fooled.

It's a given the seller is a dirtbag who is effectively stealing from a poorly-informed customer. My question is - is it an authentic sunrise watch that has been "restored" with non-disclosed aftermarket parts (bad) or is it a less rare model that has been dressed up/ruined into a fake (worse)?

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
It's a given the seller is a dirtbag who is effectively stealing from a poorly-informed customer. My question is - is it an authentic sunrise watch that has been "restored" with non-disclosed aftermarket parts (bad) or is it a less rare model that has been dressed up/ruined into a fake (worse)?
the latter.....

·
Premium Member
2,904 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
this watch was never a Sunrise. All the Sunrise’s I’ve ever seen have 2N or 2D serial numbers. It would have been a scruffy late Pogue with a fake Sunrise dial added... Hey Presto it’s now a rare watch!

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
Yes, the latter like Larry and Jim said. There are a lot of these fake Sunrise watches coming up for sale now that they are getting so much attention even outside the regular Seiko community. There is a similar problem with Silver 6139s and gold dials too. But, as Jim wrote, with the Sunrise it’s easy to spot a made-up Watch because Seiko only made them for two months, November and December in 1972 (why? Much speculation with it). I’m blessed to have acquired a real one that was recently restored. So you can see the difference in the details.

·
Special Member
2,689 Posts
The Seiko Sunrise is a Special Watch. Not so much because it is Rare and Only Made for 2 months but because of the Sunrise Dial - it is truly spectacular and unlike any other Seiko Dial I have ever seen. The Sunrise Dial pulsates with Light and Energy and it is a thrill to look at and wear. This simply cannot be seen in photographs - It has to be seen in person to be fully appreciated :)

It is a shame for anyone to purchase a watch with a Fake Sunrise Dial. The Fake Sunrise Dial is Dull, Boring, and Lifeless with No Energy and No Excitement (It just looks Dead to me) - The Fake has No Real Soul. Anyone buying a Fake Sunrise has spent a lot of money and they never get to see and enjoy the Spectacular Sunrise Light Show.

·
Administrator
29,748 Posts
So, don't mess about Kyle do you or don't you rate the fake sunrise ? :)

The Seiko Sunrise is a Special Watch. Not so much because it is Rare and Only Made for 2 months but because of the Sunrise Dial - it is truly spectacular and unlike any other Seiko Dial I have ever seen. The Sunrise Dial pulsates with Light and Energy and it is a thrill to look at and wear. This simply cannot be seen in photographs - It has to be seen in person to be fully appreciated :)

It is a shame for anyone to purchase a watch with a Fake Sunrise Dial. The Fake Sunrise Dial is Dull, Boring, and Lifeless with No Energy and No Excitement (It just looks Dead to me) - The Fake has No Real Soul. Anyone buying a Fake Sunrise has spent a lot of money and they never get to see and enjoy the Spectacular Sunrise Light Show.

·
Registered
3,621 Posts
There you guys go again Boasting about how Beautiful the Sunrise is and Driving the prices way out of reach for a Poor Old Guy like me! Now I'll never be able to swing one unless one falls in my lap!

Guess I'll just have to settle for the Super Rare Sunset model instead. Last we knew there were only 3 known in existence..........

1 - 20 of 37 Posts