The Watch Site banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My sister bought a Bulova watch at the flea market and a friend of hers told her that it is fake. He based this on the fact that it says on the watch that the band is from Hong Kong . Would this indicate that the watch is counterfeit ? Why can't a band from Hong Kong be on a Bulova Watch ?

p.s. It also says that it has a Japanese movement.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Bulova isn't the brand it once was. It's now owned by Citizen and even for the last number of years who knows where their watches were made.

It's hard to tell a fake without seeing it though.

The fact the strap is from Hong Kong means nothing. If it's used watch it may have been replaced anyway.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Bulova isn't the brand it once was. It's now owned by Citizen and even for the last number of years who knows where their watches were made.

It's hard to tell a fake without seeing it though.

The fact the strap is from Hong Kong means nothing. If it's used watch it may have been replaced anyway.
Hong Kong isn't on the metal band though, it's stamped on the watch itself ,on the back where it say's " Japanese movement " and under that it say's " Band Hong Kong " so I don't think it is a case of the band having been replaced on it . I told her to just forget about it and wear the watch .

On a side note it's good that I have this information because I also was looking at a wind up Bulova , not at the flea market but in a department store, lol . With this new knowledge that watch isn't as desirable now for me. My most recent watch purchase I think has a Japanese or Chinese watch movement in it , where ever Fossil buys there movements from . It doesn't matter to me because it still has a status symbol because it is stamped Emporio Armani and a watch that had it's features ( automatic with a power reserve indicator ) from Switzerland would cost thousands of dollars which I couldn't afford anyways.

·
Registered
844 Posts
Although Bulova has been owned by Citizen since 2008, the flea market watch is probably a replica. Counterfeit Bulova is kind of like duplicating $5 bills, instead of $100 bills...go figure. Wiki's info on Bulova is interesting and probably reasonably accurate. Great company...important player in the watch industry...a victum of the quartz revolution, though. Accutrons are great watches...every watch enthusiast should have one in his collection and learn about the technology. As for the flea-market find...if its liked, wear it until it dies, then toss it. Regards, BG

1 - 5 of 5 Posts