The Watch Site banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
Well I guess we all love the original Bergeon 4932 case opening knife. This is a classic design that is copied in all the cheap watch tool kits that we buy on the Internet. The original Bergeon 4932 is actually manufactured for Bergeon by one of the two Swiss knife companies, Wenger (the other Swiss knife company is Victorinox). And Wenger has a couple of other models in its "Watchmaker" line, one of them a dual (folding) blade design.
This is what I found in the eBay boutique of a Hong Kong seller, under the Bergeon No. 6403 tool designation:

As received (at the bottom), together with a Bergeon 4932 knife I had previously purchased from a different seller:

Naked:

First thing I noticed is that the cheap plastic pouch that came with the Hong Kong knife was too tight for the knife. There is just no way the knife will enter that pouch! Also, on the real Bergeon tool, the markings on the scale are etched, whereas on the Hong Kong knife, they are just silk-screened. The devil really is in the details...

Is this a rivet or a screw?

Bizarre. Also let's compare the blades:

Real Bergeon knife has Wenger - Delémont - Switzerland on the blade:

Note also the rivet (with proper flat head) is flush with scale surface. Let's search the blades of the Hong Kong knife for a Wenger logo or something.

Nothing here.

"Stainless Steel" here. Really? Well it's not polished as with the Wenger blade, and likely to scratch any watch case it touches, contrarily to the blade's mirror polish on the real Wenger knife. Of course, the first scratch on the case of any watch in your collection will cost you a lot more than the cost of a real, good case opening knife.

Let's check the other blade. But still nada.

And nothing here either:

And a top view of the Hong Kong knife.

I don't think you'll see a gap between the scales in any Wenger knife like you see here on the left.

I got an immediate refund from the seller, who didn't even ask to have the Hong Kong knife shipped back to him!

Here is a reliable seller of Wenger and Victorinox Swiss knifes, with competitive prices and shipping rates: http://www.swiss-knife.com/
I am not affiliated with them in any way.
Cheers,

·
Administrator
28,517 Posts
Thats what i keep trying to say in the 6309 project !! :'(

• It is unwise to pay too much, but it is worse to pay too little. When you pay too much, you lose a little money—that is all. When you pay too little you sometimes lose everything because the thing you bought was incapable of doing the thing it was bought to do ... If you deal with the lowest bidder, it is well to add something for the risk you run, and if you do that you will have enough to pay for something better.”
    — John Ruskin (1819-1900)

·
Registered
12,328 Posts
:iagree: There's also the other saying.
"I'm not rich enough to buy cheap things"

The logic being if you buy too many cheap things and they fail, you end up paying more than if you originally bought the better quality one.

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
Thanks for post I am also just about ready to buy an Opener. I will go with Quality. The Euro Tool CWR-600 That Rseiko had me buy 3 yrs ago, was the best investment to date.And Pete K sent me a Spring Bar Tool, Good QUALITY
I have been able to remove Bands , that befor I found impossible .

A good Deal=IMHO=" A Good Product at a Fair price" "John Ruskin s Saying GOSPEL for me.

·
Registered
550 Posts
One thing I didn't get:
the fake tool is not as nicely finished. Fine. But is it any worse at opening cases?

A practice test would have been interesting.

Thanks

Scoobadoo

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Scoobadoo said:
One thing I didn't get:
the fake tool is not as nicely finished. Fine. But is it any worse at opening cases?
Hi,
Yes, much worse. And the reason is written above, on the fake tool the blades are not polished and will definitely damage the finish on whatever watch you try to open with it. Also I wouldn't rely on a fake, sharp tool when using even the smallest amount of force, as the blade made out of low quality steel is as likely to break as a cheap cutter blade.
The fake tool is still in its original cardboard packaging and I am not likely to ever try it on any watch I care for - and I care for all my watches! ;D
Cheers,

1 - 8 of 8 Posts