The Watch Site banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Ultimate Collector
3,276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Sometimes it seems more 6309's advertised on the bay have fake dials than those that are original.

Have a look at this..... This watch is currently for sale on ebay:
To me the dial is a fake, the 6 O'clock hour marker certainly isn't right, it shouldn't protrude down into the text line below. But then I see the dial does have the bevelled day/date window. What do you think? Is it a fake dial, or a repainted original?:

·
Registered
473 Posts
There are worse. This horror turned up on the 'bay recently..

Haha, seen this one as well, I like the insert though, real or not. I wonder what happens to the original dials & hands? The movements are normally ok looking, so the dial must be in a decent state, even if not, I've never seen one for sale. Sad to think they are binned.
On the whole refurbished 6309 divers subject, they seem to be coming thick and fast with the AM parts at the moment.
Regards, David

·
Registered
6,720 Posts
well that is a great question...one of my relatives found a listing the bay and bought me like 30 used seiko dials in various states of needed repair..i emailed them back what they normally do...the man said they just thrown them away ...i said please email me when you get a pile of them again
He also said some sellers will do a full repaint like we see here...

·
Ultimate Collector
3,276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Haha, seen this one as well, I like the insert though, real or not. I wonder what happens to the original dials & hands? The movements are normally ok looking, so the dial must be in a decent state, even if not, I've never seen one for sale. Sad to think they are binned.
On the whole refurbished 6309 divers subject, they seem to be coming thick and fast with the AM parts at the moment.
Regards, David
Not just from the Philippines either, from all over the place, even the UK and Australia.

I also wonder what they do with the original dials and hands. Do they bin them? Like you say, they never turn up for sale so there must be hundreds of original parts thrown away every year. The annoying thing is, most of them could probably be properly and sympathetically restored.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Regards, David
That hour hand looks like its upside down?

·
Ultimate Collector
3,276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Looking at it closely, except for the bevelled day/date window, everything looks wrong.

All of the text and the hour markers and the white lines are too thick. Because of the date window it does seem most likely it is a very poorly 'refurbished' original dial.

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
I've wondered about this - i can only hope thousands of half decent 7002 and SKX dials haven't been binned, no doubt they'll be valuable in ten or twenty years.

Regards, David

·
Registered
6,720 Posts
never seen a dial with that logo

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
What I really do not understand is the painting on the dial is done clean enough and there certainly are enough real dial around to use as a reference so. If you have the facilities to reproduce a dial with sharp clean marking then why not take the bit of extra time to make sure the marking are of the same dimensions and located in the correct place on the dial. It seems to me it can't take that much more time to paint the markings more accurately than it does to paint them incorrectly.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts