The Watch Site banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3,477 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wasn't aware of any aftermarket 6139 "Sunrise" dials but it looks like they're out there:

The chrono hands are aftermarket. The case back isn't correct and the bracelet is wrong. The Speedtimer text is too close to the 9 o'clock marker lume.

Thoughts?

·
Premium Member
8,351 Posts
thanks for posting Tom.

They'll only get better at these replicas.

Something I've been wondering: what will be the attitudes about these AM watches 50 yrs from now when they are old and used? Like "time heals all wounds", time changes opinions as well ....

·
Registered
3,477 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I wonder who's producing and selling all these "good" after market parts ? :)

I'll give you 3 guesses who'll have them shortly.........;)

·
Premium Member
2,804 Posts
This is clearly a fake... eBay is knee deep in fake Seikos. Fake 6139 dials are turning up everywhere, usually described as ‘dial is in good used condition’. Sellers very rarely state the dial is new, fake, replaced, or aftermarket. - Know what you’re buying. Research is everything.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
hahahaha...I was just going to post the query! it has a lot of the proper attributes, but close is only good in horse shoes and hand grenades!

<* shark >>><

·
Registered
3,477 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
This is clearly a fake... eBay is knee deep in fake Seikos. Fake 6139 dials are turning up everywhere, usually described as ‘dial is in good used condition’. Sellers very rarely state the dial is new, fake, replaced, or aftermarket. - Know what you’re buying. Research is everything.

Ya never know Jim, It could be the Missing Link from 67'...;)

·
Registered
5,309 Posts
So what's really disturbing is the ebay auction description. All claims of originality and completely devoid of mention of the fact that probably EVERY part I can see is aftermarket !

Dial, hands, inner ring (not 100% sure but pretty sure), tachy insert and bracelet. I also think the case back looks totally suspect, like "you know who's" faked Feb. 1969 6139-6000 case backs. And the dummies didn't even use the proper 2 months (possibly a third) of production while they were at it.

Anyway I don't want to participate in Round 2 with 'that knucklehead' but this is clearly the start of the Pogue fakes going viral.

·
Registered
3,477 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
And, as Aaron pointed out, the original dials had the 9 o'clock marker shortened in order for the Speedtimer text to fit properly. You can also notice no Lineal markings on the dial like on the original.

AJ's photo of the Real Deal:

·
Registered
51 Posts
Research is everything.

You guys are so good at spotting fake
Parts on 6139s 6xxxx. I still can’t spot it even when i research.

Is there a good write up comparison of what to look for? I am always skeptical to bid.

On that note, do you ever have a feeling you are bidding against the same person. When I don’t bid it stays at that price at close. When i do i always goes at average price of others. I always wonder if the Seiko forum guys are my competition.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
One of these just popped up on Gumtree in Australia. Definitely a fake dial and not worth $1000AUD.

·
Registered
5,309 Posts
funny thing is I have never seen these fake Sunrise dials for sale. Maybe there's some sort of dark web for counterfeit watch parts haha

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
I contacted the seller to see how he would respond - barely coherently.
I'm not sure I buy it, as his listing was well written.

·
Registered
5,611 Posts
One of these just popped up on Gumtree in Australia. Definitely a fake dial and not worth $1000AUD.

Would appear then that the fakers have shortened the 9 'o clock marker on this one, if indeed it is a fake

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
1 - 20 of 20 Posts