The Watch Site banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
please define what you mean by, "I left it inside for a couple of months......" I guess I'm lucky, but I've worn many a watch on super hot/sunny days and have never experienced this phenomena. might it be a manufacturing plant thing akin to the daini 6217 lume color being different from that of its bretheren?

<* shark >>><
Haha, sounds like I normally leave my watches outside now that I read my answer again:) I kept the watch away from direct sunlight for a couple of months is what I meant. Same by me, worn a few different 6306s on really sunny days and nothing happened to those, just this one example. Maybe the air inside the watch was very humid and deposited onto the indices?

That's an interesting experiment to try. I'll put it away for a bit when I get home from this holiday and see what happens. I'm doubtful, but will be pleased if it works.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Worth giving a try, maybe open the watch in case there is some moisture from the air inside that has caused the discoloration?

·
Registered
355 Posts
My 7N36 diver (cheapie quartz) from 1995 had its lume go cardboard grey after a morning spent outdoors in June sunshine. And healed back to a creamy white in time. It seems to be UV or at least heat driven.

·
Registered
998 Posts
This had happened to both my 6105-8110s in the past. Worn out in the sun and next thing I notice the lume turned grayish. Same with a friend of mine luckily it sort of reverted back when stored away. Also another thing I've noticed is with the 6309-7040. I've had both with the nice creamy tan when stored in the box for a while and after wearing them out in the sun they turn lighter. Then change back to the dark tan when stored away for a while. Strange really.

Sent from my SM-G988U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,907 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
This had happened to both my 6105-8110s in the past. Worn out in the sun and next thing I notice the lume turned grayish. Same with a friend of mine luckily it sort of reverted back when stored away. Also another thing I've noticed is with the 6309-7040. I've had both with the nice creamy tan when stored in the box for a while and after wearing them out in the sun they turn lighter. Then change back to the dark tan when stored away for a while. Strange really.

Sent from my SM-G988U1 using Tapatalk
It's really strange how some lumes are reported to darken in sunlight and others lighten. The watch has a couple more days of holiday duty and then I'll put it away in the dark and see what happens. Hopefully I'll be able to offer an update or two as it transitions back to white

·
Registered
201 Posts
This same thing happened to my 6306 7001.... I was looking at the dial with a magnifying glass and inadvertently “cooked” the hour and second hand lume (see bottom pic)
I was devastated and put it back in its box for five or six months, took it out the other day and the lume almost matches again

·
Registered
700 Posts
I have a 6309-7049 with lume that turned darker grey in the summer and reverted to a lighter shade this winter. I wore it a lot in the summer as it was new to me and definitely a favourite and had assumed this was either UV or temperature related.

To me its part of the character of a vintage watch and doesn't detract from my enjoyment of wearing it. It's probably done this for many years prior to my acquiring it.

Winter

Summer (note the second hand)

·
Registered
207 Posts
The same thing happened to my 7548-700H, pictured on the right. Wore it on a hot summers day and it was in direct sunlight on and off for several hours. I was horrified to see the lume go very dark grey the next day (no pics sorry). However some weeks later when I took it out of the watch drawer it had returned to how it was. Huge relief and needless to say it doesn't go outside in the sun anymore.(y)

Cheers
Neil

·
Registered
1,907 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
The same thing happened to my 7548-700H, pictured on the right. Wore it on a hot summers day and it was in direct sunlight on and off for several hours. I was horrified to see the lume go very dark grey the next day (no pics sorry). However some weeks later when I took it out of the watch drawer it had returned to how it was. Huge relief and needless to say it doesn't go outside in the sun anymore.(y)

Cheers
Neil
Thank you, Neil. That's a heartening story. There's hope yet.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts