The Watch Site banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,907 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So here's something unusual.
I have a 7548-700A. This model has a grey painted edge to the lume on the dial and the lume itself has always had a greyish tinge.
I serviced it and replaced the crown and caseback gaskets a few weeks ago and had it 50m pressure tested so I could take it on a beach holiday this summer.
Well it took its first brief swim in the ocean yesterday and it got a lot of heat and sunlight today and I noticed that the lume was now a solid grey. There has been no fogging up, so I don't believe that any moisture has got inside.
Has anyone else ever experienced such a thing? The hands are off a different watch and haven't reacted in the same way (except perhaps the tail of the second hand).
Before:

Now:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
Interesting, looks to be moisture, you should contact lume powder experts.
Was the L seal and crown seal replaced?

·
Registered
1,907 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Interesting, looks to be moisture, you should contact lume powder experts.
Was the L seal and crown seal replaced?
Just the crown and caseback gaskets, Bry. Actually, they are some of your gaskets. I didn’t do the crystal gasket, but perhaps I should have. The pressure test reassured me that it was good.
I’m guessing that the paint behind the lume is grey, so perhaps moisture has made the lume translucent?
I knew I should have bought a case opener with me.
No chance of opening it up anytime soon, unfortunately.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,907 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Now that I think of it, it had about an hour in a swimming pool last week without any issues.

·
Registered
560 Posts
I've worn my 7548-700C swimming to the beach and the indices didn't turn dark/grey like yours.
It's just a small sample size though as I only wore it once.

Sent from my SM-N935F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
Contact adhesive and a wooden lever should work sufficient.
My crown and caseback seal should pass 15bar no worries.

·
Special Member
2,479 Posts
I've had a similar experience with a 6309. Didn't go swimming with it, so no moisture ingress, no fogging. Leaving it on a sunny window sill on a 90°F day, darkened the lume to a gray shade

Rob

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
479 Posts
My Pulsar Y112's lume has the same gray color, was already gray when I got it so no idea what caused the shift.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Special Member
26,990 Posts
I have seen this over and over...Over the years LOL ! Anyway I believe it has to do with heat via sunshine. I have several in my collection with this natural occurrence. For your viewing pleasure...

Mon Jan 11 09-56-01.jpg
Mon Jan 11 09-57-25.jpg
Mon Jan 11 09-58-55.jpg
Mon Jan 11 09-59-26.jpg
Mon Jan 11 10-00-43.jpg
Mon Jan 11 10-01-36.jpg
20210111_094635.jpg

·
Registered
1,907 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Now that I think of it, I had a 7548 years ago with ugly grey lume. I moved it on.
This 'cooking' must have occurred very quickly. I don't remember noticing anything when I put it on in the morning. We went to the beach at around 10 and I have a wrist shot around 11 when the lume is already noticeably grey. The UV would have been high. I was out in the direct sun for another hour or so (properly hatted and sun-screened up). I have another wrist shot around 4 where it's darker again.

Here is a thought. I would have sun-screened my arm twice during the day. An hour before the 11am shot and an hour before the 4pm shot. Sweat plus sunscreen chemicals form a vapour and get into the case (being smaller molecules than water molecules?). React with the lume in a hot environment for rapid darkening?

·
Registered
230 Posts
Happened to me as well, a 6306 with fresh gaskets and pressure test. No swimming, just a really sunny day. I left it inside for a couple of months and the lume reverted to the old state.
I had a similar thing with my 6139-6002, after a day in the sun the lume went a slightly darker shade, and after a few days returned to normal colour. A weird phenomenon I haven’t experienced on any new seikos, must be something to do with the old lume formulations. But again, it doesn’t happen to all of them.

·
Special Member
7,595 Posts
I've had a similar experience with a 6309. Didn't go swimming with it, so no moisture ingress, no fogging. Leaving it on a sunny window sill on a 90°F day, darkened the lume to a gray shade

Rob

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Did it remain that way?

·
Special Member
1,904 Posts
Happened to me as well, a 6306 with fresh gaskets and pressure test. No swimming, just a really sunny day. I left it inside for a couple of months and the lume reverted to the old state.
please define what you mean by, "I left it inside for a couple of months......" I guess I'm lucky, but I've worn many a watch on super hot/sunny days and have never experienced this phenomena. might it be a manufacturing plant thing akin to the daini 6217 lume color being different from that of its bretheren?

<* shark >>><

·
Registered
1,907 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
That's an interesting experiment to try. I'll put it away for a bit when I get home from this holiday and see what happens. I'm doubtful, but will be pleased if it works.

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
I have had similar experiences with recently sealed '77 6309-7040 and '79 7549-7010 examples. I don't have any pictures to share, but I noticed that their lume darkened slightly after wearing out in the summer sunshine/heat - no water involved. Although they didn't turn as dark/grey as your dial, both watch's lume reverted back to a paler color once stored back inside away from light for several days.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts