The Watch Site banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I saw this youtube video on an expensive Swiss quartz watch .Sorry that I didn't make note of the brand but I didn't know at the time that I would write a post about it. It costs 10,000 Euros, which is unusual for a quartz watch. The way that it is different from other quartz watches is that it has a motion detector and if the watch is not worn it goes into sleep mode and the life of the battery is extended. The battery can last for 18 years depending on how often one wears the watch . Would you be willing to spend that much on a quartz watch ?

The watch is an F.P. Journe Elegante 48. I went back to check because it didn't seem right to me to not even give the name of the watch . I should even post a picture of it but that I wouldn't know how to do unfortunately. At 48mm in size it would seem quite large for a small wrist but in a review a buyer says that it is the most comfortable watch that he has ever owned, maybe he has a large wrist lol ?

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Never hear of this watch, but I just looked it up and found this article. It's interesting to see what sort of new/different tech is out there, and since we seem to gravitate towards mechanicals, it's fun to read about quartz tech. This watch, however, seems to me like the kind of watch for someone who has more money than they know what to do with and for whom any sum of money with fewer than three zeros is a rounding error (in the article, the author casually mentions their Patek Philippe Aquanaut and also that they're personal friends with Francois-Paul Journe!). To be frank, my ~$150 solar watches also go into sleep mode, so I guess I'm less impressed by that function, but the fact that they went through all the trouble to make a micro-rotor to detect motion is fun. Also, the layout of the circuitry through the caseback has some fun whimsy. But $10k? I'll stick to my 7548 for my quartz needs ;)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts